Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

moving exchange to another server

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  StumpedTechy 
#1 ·
I'm moving an mailbox from a Microsoft 2000 server using Microsoft Exchange 5.5. to another server with the same versions. I moved almost everyone except for a few that are still on the old server. One problem I had was with this one user who is on our VPN and trying to set up his OUtlook. It says that the server is not accessible. This happened to th other users I set up before when Outlook was open while the mailbox was being moved. I would just update and refresh the Exchange Manager and Outlook on the client would be ok. For some reason, I think OUtlook is still looking for the old server instead of the new one that's why it can't connect. I'm trying to move it back to the old server now then back to the new one. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
This happened to th other users I set up before when Outlook was open while the mailbox was being moved.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow your gutsy than I am to allow people to log onto their outlook when migrating the users mailbox....

Usually what I do in situations where the profile does not follow the migration I have the users be out of outlook. I move the mailbox. I then go into the Mail settings in the control panel and reset the Microsoft Exchange settings AFTER the mailbox has moved without having outlook even opened. and then try and resolve the user account. Only after it resolves do I actually open outlook.

#3 ·
Yeah i told the users to not use outlook while the migration was going on and will inform them when it's done, but some still chose to open it to check if it was working already. what steps do you take to reset the settings? i refreshed in System Manager. What should I do if the migration back to the new server fails assuming the user does not try to log in OUtlook?

#5 ·
just a thought, would reinstallting Outlook help, in case some outlook files got corrupted while the migration was going on? Also some notes: OUtlook should automatically detect the setting change (server) once the mailbox has been moved. However the user on VPN manually typed in the new server in Mail. I'm not sure if this affected it as well. I'm trying to think if the issue is the computer or the server.

#6 ·
Can you remote desktop to the PC and then set it up yourself? This way you eliminate possible "fat finger" mistakes.
OUtlook should automatically detect the setting change (server) once the mailbox has been moved
While in a perfect world it should sometimes you have to nudge Outlook a little. I would not reinstall outlook unless I really had to as this is all part of office and then can get a little hairy. I don't like fooling with the office installer unless I have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.