Moving external hard drive to new computer - Windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

daandehn

I have an external USB hard drive with all my music on it. I recently moved to a new(er) computer. Now I cannot play any files. I get an errpr message: "You do not have permission to open this file." The security settings for the file give full control to "Administrators (ComputerName\Administrators)". I am logged on as Administrator. I went through the process with Windows to take ownership, but,,,, This is a stand alone local machine. When I look at the settings for the hard drive and look to add permissions, when I enter "owner" it shows a name "Ron" which is not me and has nothing to do with me. It says it is in a folder "(ComputerName)" Where is that folder with "Users, Groups, or Built-in security principals?" Any other helpful suggestions?

daandehn

I'm really not sure what you mean, What I really would like to know is: Where is that folder with "Users, Groups, or Built-in security principals?"

It is here: Right click on the file > Properties > Security tab > Advanced button > Change link > Object type button

daandehn

There is no "Change Link". There is "Change Permissions" but it has no "Object type" button

daandehn

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. If I go to a file and add permission for: "Users (ComputerName\Users) the file will play. However, if I go to the root folder and add that permission for "This folder and all sub-folders" nothing changes

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts