1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving files and settings from ME to vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by xfile47, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

I know there are a few ways, I do not have a transfer cable I would like to ask this question.

A friend wants to move some files and settings from a few programs from his old computer with windows ME on it to his new windows Vista.My question is

First he is going to load the programs he wants onto the windows Vista machine.

Then can I just burn the files to a cd and then copy them to the vista machine?
    If so do I go into program files and find the folder say like quicken or what ever it may be and just burn that file and everything in it to the cd and then just copy it to the program files of the vista machine and then the program on the vista machine will find them?
    will that work? and if it will, will it also transfer the settings then with it?

OR

If that won't work can I hook his hard drive up as a slave in the vista and then whereever the files are located on the ME harddrive just drag and drop them into the same place on the vista machine? and again, will that also transfer the settings?

If it ends up that I have to use a crossover cable to set up a network between the two I have never networked vista and ME, do you connect them and then run the network wizard on the vista for the host like you would for xp and then make a copy of the wizard at that end on a floppy and then run the wizard on the ME machine? and if so do you just run the wizard on the ME machine or do you have to do a bunch of setting or anything like that.

I woild feel more comforable if the 1st chice would work with the cd
    and then probably the harddrive and last the network, can someone tell me if all of these will work the way I have described them or if one or two will or if I am on the right track. Thanks

2. jmwills

jmwills

Get a cheap 5 port switch and create you own network. Share the ffolder and copy them over.

3. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

But it will work with burning the file to a cd won't it? There are not that many files to move so if it will work with the cd I think in this situation it would be just as fast, Can I do it6 that way just copy the folder I need from the program files and then copy it to the vista program files?

4. jmwills

jmwills

You can not copy Program Files, only data.

5. xfile47

xfile47 Thread Starter

Sorry, what I meant was like if he has quicken as a program. If he loads the quicken program on the vista computer, then can I go into the program files on the ME computer-- like mycomputer> C drive> program files and find the quicken folder and copy it to a cd and then copy it to the vista computer into program files then all the backups would be there and the quicken program that is on the vista computer could then pull up any or all the backups that was on the ME computer? and would that also transfer the settings that were set for the program o the ME computer? I know what I am trying to say but I don't think I am explaining it very good, if this would work the way I am explaining it then it would be easier for me, can you tell if it would work the way I am explaining it?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!