1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving files from hard drive to external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MollyB43, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MollyB43

MollyB43 Thread Starter

I am trying to move my files from the hard drive I removed from my old computer to the external hard drive. I want to be able to view the files before moving. Thanks

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You might want to look at purchasing something like this adapter, which will allow you to connect the HDD to a PC and browse the files via a USB connection.

3. MollyB43

MollyB43 Thread Starter

This is what I purchased...

Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives (Black)

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

That should work well for your needs.

5. MollyB43

MollyB43 Thread Starter

Ok I plugged everything in. I went to the files on the recovery drive which I'm assuming is the original hard drive and started clicking around. I am not even sure where to find the original files??

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

If you click on the drive and see its root directory, find the Users folder and double-click on there. Look for the account name you used and then double-click on that. It should show you a list of folders such as My Documents, My Music, My Videos, Desktop, etc. I would advise checking in these for your files.

7. MollyB43

MollyB43 Thread Starter

Ok thx. I'll try that and let you know. Probably won't be until this weekend

8. MollyB43

MollyB43 Thread Starter

I looked under user and double clicked on each folder and they we're all empty. I feel like I'm missing something

9. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

How many accounts were on that PC on the original hard disk?

10. MollyB43

MollyB43 Thread Starter

I think just one. I'm going to double check again tomorrow. Stay tuned. Thanks

11. MollyB43

MollyB43 Thread Starter

Ok under users there's a default folder and public folder. After clicking on each one, it drops down to other folders like desktop, documents, downloads, etc. Each of those are empty

12. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    On the original computer. Go to file explorer and right click on Documents folder, select Properties and note the Target location for the proper user account location. Then go to that user account and copy and paste it to the external drive.

13. MollyB43

MollyB43 Thread Starter

The original computer is no longer functional. The motherboard got fried during a power outage. That's why I removed the hard drive and bought an external hard drive

14. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    okay you should be able do the same from file explorer on the old hard drive.

15. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

These are common on each Windows PC. However, if there's no specific named user in the Users folder, I'm guessing it was deleted before the HDD was removed.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1203217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice