1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving files from NT4 Server to 2003 Server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikebach, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikebach

mikebach Thread Starter

Not sure if this is the correct forum. In the past I could use SCOPY to move users files from a File server (NT4 server) to a Windows 2000 server. From what I understand SCOPY does not work properly with 2003. Does Server 2003 have a similar utility to pring in files and retain security permissions ?

2. pileyrei

pileyrei

Mikebach

I'll be doing my MCSE 2003 upgrade exams soon! Then I should be able to help you with your question!

Bah, that doesnt help you now! Sorry.

I seem to recall that if you copy files to a new partition the files inherit the target partitions settings.

I'm fairly sure on this but don't quote me!

Unfortunately I do not know anything about SCOPY

Good luck.

Pileyrei

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

From what I was just reading, SCOPY was replaced with XCOPY in Windows 2000 and you would use the /o switch to copy file ownership and ACL's. I have not played with 2003, so I cannot comment on that.

You could also try xxcopy which is a free download. It is basically a utility that someone created too extend the functionality of xcopy. Has alot more features to it.

4. Squashman

And as I was reading some more, RoboCopy replaces XCOPY which is in the Resource kit.

5. mikebach

mikebach Thread Starter

ROBOCOPY, is that in the Resource kit for 2003 or 2000 ? Thanks

6. Squashman

I am just searching for all of this information on Microsoft's site. RoboCopy first came availiavle in the NT 4 resource kit supplement 2. It is also available in the 2000 and XP resource kits.

But I bet XXCOPY would do the trick for you.
    http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy30.htm

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!