Moving files pc to laptop?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FrankB

I'm going to help a friend switch from his pc to a new laptop. He would like to move as much data as possible to the laptop. The pc is win95 and the new laptop is win98. Is there a list of file types that can be moved from 95 to 98? He has laplink on both machines. Is that the best way to go or is cable direct in windows as good?
Are most of the files on 95 compatible with 98 such as *.pwl, cookies, and usr.dat?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LapLink is probably your best bet.

You need to find out what version of Win95 he has and whether it was set up as FAT 16 or 32. Only the later versions of Win95 allowed FAT 32 and it was an option on that. His Win 98 laptop is almost certainly set up for FAT 32.

If he has FAT 32 on his Win95 machine I would think most of the stuff is transferable. If it is FAT 16 then he will have problems to solve. On the Win 95 machine: Right click My Computer>Properties>Performance and it should tell whether it has a 32 bit or 16 bit file system. It works that way with Win98 at least. If that doesn’t work get back and someone might be able to give better directions for determining the file system on Win95.

Get back with what FAT he has on the Win95 machine.

To configure Win98 as a fresh OS, your looking for trouble playing with .pwl files and other such configs, especially copying from an older version of Windows, your moer likely to corrupt something.

I would just copy work files and important documents instead of playing with config stuff.

just my opinion.

FrankB

Thanks for the input. I used laplink and only transfered the data files. He had an older version of quickbooks that I loaded and attempted to restore a backup copy of his data on the new laptop. It said the data was form a newer version of quickbooks. He must have upgraded via the web at some point. I tried just doing a move of the entire quickbook folder with laplink and it worked. Will this create a problem in his registry? What is the registry used for. I assume it is more important for some applications than others.
Thanks

Usually program data files can be moved without consideration for the registry. You just have to put them in the right place.

Moving the entire program folder often doesn’t work because of the registry links and losing shared .dll and .vxd files. If it works you are fine – sometimes you get lucky. My daughter got all the AutoCad files from a computer and put it on hers – its been working fine for a year.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online