1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving files

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by cc88, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cc88

cc88 Thread Starter

I bought a new PC and I want to move the files from my old one to this one, problem is it doesn't have a dvd burner on the old one so how am I suppose to do this?

thanks

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

How old is the old computer? Usually a USB flash drive can substitute for the transport duties. The Tornado cable or some other method of simple networking can also be used. If you're handy with tools and want to keep it all free (would have to buy a flash drive if you didn't have one) 'cept for the cost of the DVD discs, you can take the DVD drive out of the new one, hook it up to the old one, burn all your data on DVDs, and then move the DVD drive back to the new computer.

You can also take out the old drive and hook it up to a IDE/SATA to USB adapter connected to the new computer and get the data that way, its about $20 again for such an adapter.

3. cc88

cc88 Thread Starter

Is there any sites that I can upload alot of files? It's just music and pictures I want moved... Rapidshare is difficult with music, uploading would take forever because of how few files you can upload for the max

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

That's kind of why I didn't suggest that route unless you have a lot of time to upload and were thinking of keeping a backup online on a more permanent basis. There is Mozy which gives you 2 gigs for free, A-drive, 50 but its a little more problematic to use, and Carbonite which gives a 15 day free trial, to name three. If you have the time or very good upload connection speed, you can do it that way.

5. nessyguin

nessyguin

Just pull the hard drive out of the old PC and stick it in the new one .

6. Hughv

Hughv

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758586

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice