1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving from XP to Vista

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mystkitty, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mystkitty

Mystkitty Thread Starter

My desk top got too full to play Sims 2 so when I got a new laptop I began moving it over to the new machine.
    Old machine- XP
    Laptop - Vista

I installed Sims 2 onto the new machine and it runs fine.

I bought one of those transfer cables to move files from one maching to another as I had a lot of graphics and tons of custom downloads to be moved. I moved them over just fine.

Problem: The directory structure of Vista is different from XP and I can't figure out where the custom downloads directory goes so it will show up in the game. As a result I have no custom content and all my great specially designed characters lack all their specific looks and their houses lack all the custom floors, walls, etc.

Please help! Where do I put the downloads dir so the stuff will show up in the laptop's game? The custom content shows up fine on the desktop. I'm going crazy trying to figure out where to put the downloads directory. I'd really like to remove all the S2 stuff from my desktop but don't dare until it's all running fine on the laptop.

Thanks,
    Jeanne

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    where is the folder currently on your desktop?

3. Mystkitty

Mystkitty Thread Starter

c:\documents and settings\HP_owner\my documents\EA games\sims 2

4. Mystkitty

Mystkitty Thread Starter

Just curious. Why would this be relevant? Vista doesn't have all these assorted owner/user directories ( or mine doesn't) and I only transferred the file, not the directory structure.

Jeanne

5. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    The equivalent folder on Vista is:

c:\Users\HP_Owner\Documents\EA Games\Sims 2

Although HP_Owner can be changed to the user you created on the Vista machine.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Correct. On vista the users directory has moved to x:\Users\<username> (x: being the partition windows is installed, usually c: drive). So when you install your games that uses your specific folder, it will no longer be stored in Documents and Settings. Just copy the data in Sims 2 folder from XP to the Sims 2 folder in Vista.

7. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

bah Vista is confusing!

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Confusing: Not really
    Pain in the donkey's behind: Most definitely :D

9. Mystkitty

Mystkitty Thread Starter

Well, I finally got the Sims2 stuff in the right place as the custom content is finally showing up.

Now I'm trying to open a program I downloaded (MagicISO) and it won't open, says it either doesn't like Windows or something is wrong or missing in the download. (the latter is quite possible as my wireless connectivity is spotty at best and may have given up the ghost before the program was fully downloaded. I hadn't planned on the laptop being "connected" at all but when I got it going I realized there is some sort of public wireless network? that reaches me in my living room. (possibly from a nearby hospital). Anyway, I finally decided to get rid of what I downloaded of MagicISO and try again somewhen but when I try to delete it.......

IT WON'T LET ME. SAYS i DON'T HAVE PERMISSION. This permissions garbage in Vista has been a pain in the patooty since I got it. I hate Vista! I've gone into Control Panel and done everything that looks obvious but occasionally it still says I don't have permission to do something. Does anyone know what I can do? It's my computer and only mine so no other users.
    The puter I'm on now is connected by cable and I'm not sure it would work on te laptop without some major setup, but even if t did, the physical task of getting the cable from behind the desktop is quite daunting and I'm not sure I can do it. (I'm disabled). Alas I may have no choice but to try if I can't get better wireless connectivity. Perhaps I should take the machine closer to the hospital to redownload the program. BUT, I still have to delete what's there now before I do that.

Ideas anyone?
    Jeanne

10. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

:) let me rephrase...is it confusing why microsoft would release Vista!!!!:) hehe though i guess XP wasnt without its bugs at the begining

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Kitty,

I don't know if you have seen the Mac commerical where the PC guy has a security guy in the background, but it's pretty much that. Vista is somewhat annoyingly secure. It's about 10x worse for me because I am an advanced user and I couldn't do as much as I can do on XP... plus some of my games doesn't work because of how it runs. As to the problem, do you know if your username in Vista has administrative rights?

Bloo: It was needed... it's been what... 5 years since the last OS. :)

12. BlooChoo

BlooChoo

oh yeh dont get me wrong...windows needed to bring out something shiny and new...but at least have it totally backward compatible....or if not..at least make it more customisable...as u say urself you cant o half as much as you could with xp..and that was also true with xp and 98 wen that move happened...it seems microsoft are trying to keep us all dumb!!:)

13. Mystkitty

Mystkitty Thread Starter

I definitely show up as being administrator. I tried and think I succeeded in getting rid of any other users since it's my computer and no one else uses it.

14. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    You can turn off those permissions dialogs by going to Start, Settings, Control Panel, User Accounts and Family Safety, User Accounts and click , at the bottom, <B>Turn User Account Control on or off</B> and un tick the option - it will turn Vista into XP type security.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice