Moving hard drive to another p.c.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lkrides

I have a gateway GT5056 that the Mobo died a long time ago. I moved the HD to a Dell Optiplex box and I don't recall needing retail versions of operating systems. I do seem to remember that I had to get some kind of code from Microsoft. I now intend to move the 250gb hard drive from the gateway to a more spacious Dell dimension 2400 box. I have all of the software disks (XP and other stuff) that came with the Gateway. None of the software was retail versions.

The question is......what will I need?
Thanks
Lee

You should first try it out. If they work with the new machine, you won't need anything. If they don't(actually firstly, if the OS (XP) disk doesn't install), you'll need a new OS. This will hit you first, as you'll have to format the hard drive if it will be the primary or only one, so you'll need to reinstall XP. The other programs aren't vital, so it would be up to you which ones you want to install, and if they too don't work, get free equivalent ones, just leave them out or buy new ones.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online