1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving hard drive to another p.c.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lkrides, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lkrides

Lkrides Thread Starter

I have a gateway GT5056 that the Mobo died a long time ago. I moved the HD to a Dell Optiplex box and I don't recall needing retail versions of operating systems. I do seem to remember that I had to get some kind of code from Microsoft. I now intend to move the 250gb hard drive from the gateway to a more spacious Dell dimension 2400 box. I have all of the software disks (XP and other stuff) that came with the Gateway. None of the software was retail versions.

The question is......what will I need?
    Thanks
    Lee

2. BG-0

BG-0

You should first try it out. If they work with the new machine, you won't need anything. If they don't(actually firstly, if the OS (XP) disk doesn't install), you'll need a new OS. This will hit you first, as you'll have to format the hard drive if it will be the primary or only one, so you'll need to reinstall XP. The other programs aren't vital, so it would be up to you which ones you want to install, and if they too don't work, get free equivalent ones, just leave them out or buy new ones.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice