1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

moving hardrive to another puter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yourmajesty, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yourmajesty

yourmajesty Thread Starter

Hello everyone. Here is my situation. I have a Pentium II computer that I use for my home based business. I have a pentium III that is my personal computer. I just purchased an Athlon motherboard, processor and fan. I would like to get rid of the Pentium II. sooooo...............

1: can I just move the hardrive from the Pentium II to the Pentium III computer (same hardrive size and mfgr) or even image it

2: I have windows XP on the Pentium II so will I have to reactivate if I move the hardrive or image it?

3: install the programs onto the Pentium III hardrive, make a backup copy of the files on the Pentium II and then restore them on the PIII

4: is there something simpler that I am missing?

5: I must have the stuff on the PII hardrive to continue my business.

2. brbpab94

brbpab94

To be honest wit you I don't think you'll have to do anything except change hard drives and re boot.the first thing that will happen is the opperating sys on the hard drive will detect all the knew devices and start installing them.just have all your cds ready to install the devices.And you'll want to check your BIOs setting and up date them if you need to.
    This is just my opinion you might want to wait and confim this first with one of the pros on this board.:rolleyes: NO really there's a bunch of good ones.

3. flyeater

flyeater

You plan to put the same copy of XP on what will amount to an upgraded machine, new cpu & motherboard, same HD, ram, CdRom, etc? If so the "Windows Product Activation" (WPA) will probably kick in. Not all hardware upgrades trigger it but a mobo change probably will. You may need to call Microsofts call center. Make sure you have time to sit on hold if you do. Read up on it here.

4. Party Boy

Party Boy

Also if you take a HDD from one system and put it in another PC based on a different motherboard then the chipset drivers will conflict causing a variety of problems from running very slowly to constant blue screening, you can use a program such as Norton Ghost to copy files across I believe but I've never used it myself.

5. carltasha

carltasha

You can use the hard disk from the P11 as a slave on any other computer and you will have all the information that is on it without any hassels .

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

In general, moving W2K/XP to a new motherboard is asking for trouble, though it will work about half the time. One thing that's sure to kill it is one machine having ACPI capability, and the other one not having it. This loads a different HAL during installation, and it can't be changed after the fact.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice