moving information between computers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wbrenner

Is it possible to move documents directly from a lap top to a PC and if yes how do you do this? (without using a flop disk or CD disk)

PCG342

Banned
Buy a cheap USB flash drive. Or... are they networked?
Share your "My Documents" folders.

I'm assuming both computers are running windows xp.Go to start-programs accessories-system tools-file and settings transfer wizard it will guide you through the steps.If both computers have ethernet cards you are all set.

PCG342

Banned
I feel like an idiot right now.
Why not - assuming both have an internet connection- E-mail it to yourself?

sorry i was thinking you wanted to transfer setting from old pc to new pc.I gotta get some sleep.

wbrenner

no only one has an internet connection and they are not networked, lets make the question a bit more complicated, if you have a cable which has 2 male usb connectors (1 at each end) if you plug one end into the PC and the other end into the laptop will that give you ability to transfer data between the computers? or do you need a network card in 1 or both of the computers both are running xp home

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Do NOT connect them directly with a plain USB cable! See bigbear's post for the proper USB cable. If they both have Ethernet, you can connect them directly with a CAT5 crossover cable.

wbrenner

(y) Thank you all for your advice and assistance, it is amazing how much one forgets if you do not use your learnt computer skills on a regular basis. And you also learn more from the people on this site
Thank you again and have a great 2006

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts