1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving My Documents Folder Back to C Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pegs, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:28 AM.

Advertisement
  1. pegs

pegs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peg
    I have a Dell 3670, running Windows 10 Pro. When I first set up the computer, I moved my "Documents" Folder to my F: Drive. It's not working out there, because when I install programs, instead of writing the typical extraneous stuff to my F:\Documents folder, it's writing everything directly to the root of my F: Drive (instead of F:\documents, cluttering my root drive terribly!

So I'm trying to move the Documents Folder BACK to C: Drive.

When I right-click on the Documents folder and click Properties, there's no "Location" Tab! Only the top row of tabs is present: General, Sharing, Security, Previous Versions, Customize.

[​IMG]

Since the "Location" tab is required to select the destination folder (C:\documents), how can I move my Documents folder back to my C: Drive?

Stuff like this should all be in my "Documents" folder, not in my F: Root Drive:

F:\

[​IMG]

Please help!

-Peg

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 12
    RAM: 16198 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: B: 1319 GB (943 GB Free); C: 528 GB (348 GB Free); F: 1072 GB (239 GB Free); G: 783 GB (506 GB Free); H: 2794 GB (1673 GB Free); P: 1870 GB (900 GB Free); U: 3725 GB (810 GB Free); V: 3723 GB (1680 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0H4VK7
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

How did you do the initial move of the Documents folder?

3. pegs

pegs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peg
    I right-clicked on c:\documents and hit "Location". (Which was there). Then I typed in "F:\Documents" and hit "Move". I've always had my "Documents" on F: Drive on my past computers, and programs always wrote stuff to it during installation. They never tried to put info on the root drive. :(

(If I could stop them from doing that, I would be happy leaving "Documents" on F: Drive.)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 4:01 PM
  4. pegs

pegs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peg
    Surely someone knows how to move my Documents back to C: drive???? Or how to, at least, tell programs to write to F:\Documents instead of F:\ (root directory)????

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Open Settings.
    Click on System.
    Click on Storage.
    Under "Save locations," and on "New apps will save to," select the new drive location.

6. pegs

pegs Thread Starter

First Name:
    Peg
    I don't understand that suggestion, lunarlander. :(

When I go to that location, here's what it currently shows:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it already currently says "This PC (C). Since my "Documents" folder is on F: Drive (where I unfortunately moved it when I first set up my computer), this obviously isn't the place where I would to to change it to C: (because it already says C). And it's always said C:

I'm not sure what "New apps will save to" actually means, but it doesn't seem to fit my situation at all.

In fact, it says C:\ for every available circumstance:
    [​IMG]

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 at 12:15 PM
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice