1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving office

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mdennis133, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mdennis133

mdennis133 Thread Starter

I curently am running XP and Office XP. My C drive is running low in space and the biggest thing on it is Office and all the related office stuff. Is there any way of moving it to my D Drive. I have the original disks, but would rather not lose all my settings etc. and need to start all over again?

Help!

Thanks,

mike

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Move the Swap file - CONTROL PANEL - SYSTEM - ADVANCED - PERFORMANCE - SETTINGS - ADVANCED - VIRTUAL MEMORY - CHANGE

Set C to o in both and set D to 2x physical memory

3. mdennis133

I really appreciate your help, and followed it all the way to the end.

Move the Swap file - CONTROL PANEL - SYSTEM - ADVANCED - PERFORMANCE - SETTINGS - ADVANCED - VIRTUAL MEMORY- CHANGE

Set C to o in both and set D to 2x physical memory

But when I get to virtual memory there is no change button. Each of my drives is listed. Ther is a button for "set" and there are 2 boxes to input a "custom size"

Any suggestions on what I should do?

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Use set after you change the values.

5. mdennis133

I've tried everything and I must be stupid or at least dense today.

When I get to the virtual memory page, I have a box at the top that lists all of my drives c: system d: data e:image

below that I have 2 other boxes "paging file size for selected drive " and total paging file size all drives ". In the top box there are two boxes for customs size one marked "initial size " and the other than marked "maximum size " .

the last time I tried it I entered "0", zero, into both boxes.I pressed set and it told me that I would have to reboot my machine for the changes to take effect . Nothing happened .

When I went to the D. drive there was no place for me to enter "2X physical memory " , so I entered 2 into each of those boxes. pressed set an rebooted my machine .

the best news is I didn't foul anything up. but none of the changes have affected anything .

any ideas where I am going wrong

the system is XP professional, if that makes in a difference .

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272366

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice