1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

moving outlook express emails to outlook 2016 365

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by smithmdan, Aug 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

I have a friend who just purchased a Windows 10 laptop.

It came with Office 365.

She has for many year been using Outlook Express in Windows XP.

She wants to move all of her outlook express emails (and sub folder of the Inbox) to the Outlook program on the new windows 10 computer.

Is this possible ??

I have succeed in getting her address book exported and imported but cannot find any info or instructions on how to move the emails and folders.

I do remember that some years back I did a transfer from outlook express XP email to a Windows 7 computer running outlook. But I seem to remember having to have some kind of special software to make this possible.

Can anyone tell me if I am wasting my time or is this transfer a possibility ?

She really does not want to give up all of her old emails.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Thats a subscription service - so most PC come with a trial version and then you have to purchase an annual subscription

Does she still have the OLD XP PC
    and will she be subscribing to 365 and continue to use outlook
    if not, then thunderbird will migrate from the XP machine

Put thunderbird onto the OLD XP PC and run the program , you can import all email into thunderbird
    then you can install on the new W10 PC and copy the profile across

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/config/move-oe-to-outlook-new-computer/
    https://support.office.com/en-gb/ar...-Outlook-ca8ecaab-3330-46a1-b925-deac3f3c4359

3. smithmdan

smithmdan Thread Starter

I had already tried the solution found in your 2nd link but it did not work. appears to only work with outlook 2007 or 2010.

I was trying to keep her in outlook because she is so familiar with OE.

she was given office 365 as add on with the computer purchase. (card with sratch off activation code.

I did think about using a different program and thank for the tip on that.

still wondering if it is possible to do it the other way and move from OE ot outlook 2016 (365)

Thanks !

Any other thoughts or ideas ?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Thunderbird is very similar to outlook
    however, that activation is only for a year for 365
    a lot of my clients in the UK have thought they are getting this product for ever and it runs out after a year .

i dont have an XP machine handing to try out - but will if i get a chance of next couple of days

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice