Moving Outlook.pst from desktop to notebook and back

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Joseph King

Running Outlook 2003 SP2 on XP Pro.

I've had my Outlook.pst running in default IMO fashion on my desktop for a long time, size now up to about 1.4 GB, though I'm trying to archive most of that (see "Some emails won't archive" a few threads below). I have a new notebook and need to run Outlook on that instead for about a week while I wait for new phone and DSL service in our new office. I've installed the same version of Outlook on the notebook and then copied the Outlook.pst file over, but I'm getting unexpected behavior.

The emails are all there and the Contacts all moved over, but I've now got to go through all the customizing of the layout and, more importantly, when I click on the Address Book icon in the toolbar it says it can't display it because the Contacts folder associated with this address list couldn't be opened, it may have moved or been deleted, or I don't have permissions (which shouldn't be an issue). Then it says to go to Help for info on how to remove this folder from the Address Book.

I get the same message if I try to create a new email message and click "To" to try to get to the list. I can muddle through by just copying and pasting out of the Contacts list, no big deal, if necessary.

I realize there's more to this idea of moving the Outlook.pst file back and forth between the desktop and notebook and vice versa then meets the eye. Copying over email accounts, rules, and send/receive groups is a whole separate issue that I actually do think I have reasonably under control.

I would love to know if there's a "good, reliable, efficient" sync program to just help me keep everything mentioned above synced between the two machines. Nothing I've seen seems sophisticated enough yet simple enough.

Thanks!

Close Outlook
Open the Control Panel / Mail icon
Click on the E-Mail Accounts button
Highlight View or change existing directories or address books
Next
Highlight Outlook Address Book (if it isn't already)
Click on the Remove button / Yes
Click on the Add button
Select Additional Address Books
Select Outlook Address Book
Finish and Close
Restart Outlook

From the first post, it didn't seem like the problem was with duplicates but because the Contacts folder couldn't be opened. Much simpler and faster just to delete the Outlook Address Book and add it back in again. Just did it and it took something like 30 seconds. I suspect even a moderately sized pst file would take considerably longer to import and would still likely not solve this particular problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online