1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving Outlook's PST file to a remote server?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Alex Ethridge, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I want to put Outlook's PST file on a server on the LAN. I know how to move the PST file--just move it and configure Outlook to use the file from the new location.

Problem is I did that once and then when the server wasn't available for some reason, Outlook automatically created a new PST file on the local C drive in Documents and Settings\user\etc. and started using it.

How can I move the PST file and have Outlook look to the new location and wait until the PST file on the server is available, instead of making a new one when it isn't?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Mail and data have to go someplace. If the computer is connected to an Exchange server, the data can be held there until it can be moved to a PST. There are also inherent dangers in storing a PST file on a server especially if you have response-time problems like you describe. PSTs in that situation can corrupt very easily resulting in total data loss.

If you were to find an application that forced Outlook to wait for a server response, imagine the frustration to the user who has to wait until the server is back on-line before being able to check their Calendar, Contacts, or e-mail?

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Waiting for mail is not a new thing and server down time isn't either. This server is rarely off line. Down time in the last month was less than an hour and that was for an expected maintenance.

But, if Outlook is determined to have its own way, then there is nothing I can do about it. If I could, though, I would force it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!