1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving partial data from one column to another in Excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by AhrenBa, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Jul 21, 2005
    Hey Guys,

I scanned in some phone numbers/names using OCR and need some help in Excel. Here is example I made real quick of what the list looks like:

Column A is fine. However, do you see Column B? It has the grade and then the phone number.

Here's what I mean in column B:
    Grade [one space] phone number

So, it looks like this in the excel spreadsheet:
    10 555-5555

Here's what I need to do. I need to find a way to automate the process of taking out the phone numbers from column B and moving them all to a new column (C). There are four grade numbers (9, 10, 11, and 12), so I can run the process on each grade to separate them.

How can I do this? Thanks.
  2. CastleHeart

May 4, 2002
    Put the formula:

in C2. Adjust the 8 for the phone number if it includes area code. Then drag that formula down the number of rows you'd like.

- Castleheart
  3. jimr381

Jul 20, 2007
    You could also use "Data">>"Text to Columns" to split the columns in half using a space as the separator.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701134