1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving PC and internet settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sikpupi, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sikpupi

sikpupi Thread Starter

Hi

I am using WIn XP at work using a dial-up method to get on the Internet and to access Emails. However.....this is not ideal when it comes to WIndows Updates and Anti-Virus Updates and the dial-up is labourourly slow(....as you all know!!). I am way behind in the updates and would take for-ever to catch up

I have Broadband at home on my own PC and am wondering can I just unplug my Work PC and plug it in at home and down load the Updates overnight via the Broadband. The next morning I will unplug again and carry into work and reconnect. I will then ensure that I stay updated with a daily logon to the Update sites.

Sounds easy........but can anyone tell me if it will work????

Thanks

2. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

As long as the work machine has a network card in, there should be no problems at all with doing what you say.

Alternatively I believe you can download the updates as files and then burn them to a CD to then install at work which may be easier to do that carrying your PC backwards and forwards.

Also you could set your work PC to automatically download and install updates @ 00:00 everyday, then leave your machine on overnight and let it do it's downloading while your not there.

3. sikpupi

sikpupi Thread Starter

Kid

Many thanks......lugging the ol' machine under my arm is not a major headache for me. One good nights work would be all that I need and I would them be completely up to date!!!!! Once I know it is a simple 'plug and play' ....I'm happy!!!

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!