Moving pcs from europe to usa

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

endrsgm

hi,
i want to move two pcs from europe to the the united states. many pcs sold have a little switch that allows you to change from 240v to 100v. neither of these two pc have that little switch and instead their power supply ONLY runs 240v. i had thought i could ship these two pcs to the usa and once there simply replace the power supply with one that runs at 110v. however, someone that usually knows a lot about pcs told me that the pcs might be set up to ONLY run on 240v and that changing out the power supply could fry them. i immediately started trying to contact the pc company but apparently their cs phone line rings in an empty room because its rung for hours with no answer over the course of several days.

pc 1
- AMD FX 6100 HexaCore 6 x 3.6 GHz ----> CPU
- Biostar A960Dplus AM3+ Mainboard -----> motherboard
- 16 GB DDR3 PC-1600 Hynix AMD Markenspeicher (2 x 8GB Dual Channel) --------> RAM
- 1000 GB SATA II Festplatte -----> hard drive
- 22x Dual Layer DVD +/- R/RW DVD-Brenner -----> disk drive
- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB DDR5 (DVI, HDMI Anschluss) ---> GPU
- Sharkoon Vaya II ---_> pc tower case
- 420W LC-POWER 420H Silent-Deluxe ATX Marken-Netzteil ------> this is the power supply

pc 2
Prozessor: AMD Hexa-Core FX 6300, 6Kerne, 4.1GHz Turbo (3500 MHz ohne Last, bis zu 4100 MHz mit Last durch die AMD Boost Technik) ----> CPU
Mainboard: AMD Sockel AM3+ (1 x PCIe x16, 1 x PCIe x1, 1 x PCI, 4 x SATA 3Gb/s, 2 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse, 1xDVI, 1xD-Sub, 1 x GBIT-LAN, 6xUSB 2.0, 3xAudio jack) ---> motherboard
Arbeitsspeicher: 16 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Dual Channel) ----RAM
Festplatte: 1000 GB SATA II HDD ----> hard drive
3D-Grafikkarte: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950 2048 MB DDR5, DirectX 12, VGA, DVI, HDMI (Leistungswerte siehe Bilder) ---> GPU
Gehäuse: Sharkoon Gaming Midi Tower (H: 40cm x B: 17cm x T: 43cm), Seitenteile einzeln abnehmbar, Farbe schwarz --- tower case
Netzwerk: 10/100/1000 MBit/s Ethernet LAN, DSL fähig
Netzteil: Fortron 12cm Super Silent Netzteil ---> power supply

so i guess the questions are
1: could i just remove the old 240v power supply, buy a 110v power supply, install the 11v power supply, hook it up, and then use the computers no problem
or
2: would i need to get one of those power adapters that allow me to convert 110v to 240v and use that to plug in the computers?

i would appreciate any and all help on this!

If you don't know for sure your best bet is to replace the power supplies. Just buy ones in the US that work on 120 AC volts. The DC outputs voltage are the same for all power supplies worldwide.

endrsgm

that is precisely what i want to do. take the old power supply and toss it and buy a new one for like 100 dollars or something. then just reconnect it.

but someone who is smarter than me about computers told me that parts of my system may ONLY run on 240v and if this is the case then it is much more complicated than just buying a new power source and replacing it. but i had never ever heard of this before and am not sure if this is indeed the case but then again this person knows more about pc than i do....

to be really honest im not even sure which part in my pc may "only run on 240v". i thought they all worked on everything EXCEPT the actual power supply which may work on 120 or on 240 or on both with a little lever that lets you swap between them. that there maybe some component inside my pc that requires 240 or it fries is something id never heard of, cant find much online about (everyone apparently only moves to europe from the usa and not the other way around, lol or they have the little lever to swap the power back and forth), and im trying to do a due diligence to not fry the pcs.

Last edited:
that is precisely what i want to do. take the old power supply and toss it and buy a new one for like 100 dollars or something. then just reconnect it.

but someone who is smarter than me about computers told me that parts of my system may ONLY run on 240v and if this is the case then it is much more complicated than just buying a new power source and replacing it. but i had never ever heard of this before and am not sure if this is indeed the case but then again this person knows more about pc than i do....
There is nothing in a PC that runs on 240 volts. Everthing inside runs on low DC voltages.

All PC power supplies output the following DC voltages: +3.3V,+5V, +12V, -12V. The purpose of the power supply is to convert the input AC power (120V or 240V) to these DC voltages. Like I said this is true all over the world.

The only problem would be if the computer is a prebuilt one from HP, Dell, etc. Then you would have to make sure they will work with a standard PC power suppply.

endrsgm

so basically i can just toss the old power supply and buy a new one in the usa for both computers, hook it up, and its going to work just fine?

crjdriver

As long as the motherboard does not have proprietary pw connections [as some big box systems do] you should not have any issue swapping in a standard atx pw supply. If you have a standard asus, gigabyte, etc motherboard, no problem. If you have a proprietary big box system, you may have a problem.

Those systems are now 8yr old at least. It may not be cost effective to put money into 8yr old tech. If these were very high end intel workstations, then maybe however the amd processors of that era were inferior to intels [now that is not the case and the modern AM4 is at the very least on par with intel if not superior in some regards]

crjdriver

BTW you may want to check the specs on your current pw supply. Just because you do not see an external switch does not mean the pw supply will not function on 120V 60cycle current. Many modern pw supplies are switching pw supplies ie you can connect either 220V OR 120V. You need to check the specs carefully. If this is a custom build with a high end seasonic, corsair, etc type pw supply, it will most likely work with either input. If this is a big box system such as a dell, hp, etc, then no it will most likely not work with either input.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online