1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving pics from a camera

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Stephen47, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

When I had XP I would put the SD card in the card reader and a "wizard" would open in which I could choose which pics I wanted to put in a folder and label them. In Windows 7 when I put the card in the reader it seems I can label them and put them in a folder but there is no way to choose which ones go where. Am I missing something?

2. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

How come I get an email that a response has been posted and yet there is no response here?

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Possibly posted then deleted.
    I've done that when I realised my reply was inappropriate.

4. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

It was not an inappropriate reply, I just wonder why it was never posted.
    This is the reply as it appeared in my email:
    The functions in Windows XP are similar to Windows 7. If you want specific pictures to go to some folder, you'll have to highlight those pics first then either cut or copy them to the folder destination you want to. There are several ways of getting those pics organized. It depends on the software you're using. The traditional way is just using Windows Explorer and locating those files and manually copy/pasting them to the computer hard drive. Other software would be Picasa, camera software and a lot more.

[quoted advertizing deleted by mod]
    what happened to this?

5. huggie54

huggie54

hiya,Stephen47,click on start>default programs and select"chang autoplay settings,go down the list to pictures and click on the downward arrow at the end of this line (choose default),then select the program you want

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From post # 4:

It went into the Spam bucket. Probably the guy's other posts were less legitimate.

I have my autoplay set to "ask me." I open the SD card in Windows Explorer, copy all folders/pictures to a hard drive temporary folder and then go to work on them. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to work with the pictures on the SD card the same way as with XP.

But, what was the "wizard" you used? Was that a part of XP or a utility from somewhere?

7. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

It was an XP utility. I have a copy of XP on an old hard drive, I will check it out and post some screen shots of what I am referring to.
    Stay tuned.

8. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

Here are some screen shots from XP! is when I insert the SD card
    #1 Is when I inset the SD card and choose the option circled.
    #2 Opens the scanner and camera wizard
    #3 Shows to clear all and allows you to choose the pictures you want to import
    #4 Allows you to label the picture and choose the folder you want to put them in.

This allows you to choose and label which picture you want in which folders.
    This is much easier than importing all the pictures, naming them and then copying and pasting them in various folders.

Microsoft seems to want to make things more difficult with each succeeding OS.
    Like the convoluted way they have for shitting down Windows8, right clickin the lowerright corner to show the "charms", choose power options. then choose shut down.
    Way to many operations for a simple task.
    I know about creating a shortcut to shut down. But If I tried to explain this to my wife, the computer would never get shut downn

Attached Files:

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Looks like Windows Live Photo Gallery may have a similar function. Wanna bet how well or poorly it compares to the XP utility? :(

10. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

I'll check it out but it probably won't be as good because it is "new and improved"

11. huggie54

huggie54

didn't setting the default work in post 5

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that the issue with post # 5 is "select the program you want." :) He'd like XP's Scanner and Camera Wizard but it's not in Windows 7 and so far has not found anything comparable.

13. Stephen47

Stephen47 Thread Starter

Windows Live seems like it will work similar to the XP utility.
    Thanks for the tip.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!