1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving programs and files from Vista to Win 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by geno368, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

I have a new desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium. My old desktop is a Vista Home premium and both systems are 64 bit. I bought a program called Laplink PC mover and I want to move all my programs and files from the Vista system to the Win 7 system. Can I do this? Thanks

2. Hughv

Hughv

According to the site:
    "The ONLY software that moves programs, files and settings from your old PC to your new PC – even restores from an image (or old hard drive) or performs an in-place upgrade.
    With PCmover, there’s no need to find old CDs or serial numbers, because your programs are ready to use."

3. Saifee

Saifee

What if it may not work, as the directory destination is going to change. i actually personally never moved my programs i rather tried to install them again, moving programs from win vista to win 7 is a question mark.

The ONLY software that moves programs, files and settings from your old PC to your new PC " here is doesn't refer to an operating system or something relevant to it "

i would actually loved to see if someone has used it before and can share their experience, i am curious to know.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Laplink's program does not work on all programs, but it is the best of the programs that claim to be able to do this.

Technically, it is not beyond imagination that this can be done. It is relatively easy to "install" a program into a non-running operating system by simply merging the needed registry entries, placing the files in the necessary locations, and creating shortcuts. This can all be done externally and when the OS is then booted, the program acts like it was installed natively.

But this is only possible (or can be done in a reasonable period of time) for simple programs. The registry entries for Office, for example, number into the 1000's, and doing this manually would be practically impossible. Files are placed throughout the file system. Doing it with software that "knows" the location of those entries and files beforehand is more approachable as a solution.

It's about time someone came up with a program to do this (for most programs at least) and this is the best that can be done for now.

5. geno368

geno368 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I have used this program successfully 3 times with a few problems, but generally a great tool. My original question is really the import from Vista os to a win 7 os....not the os themselves, but the copy of the programs into a different os

6. Saifee

Saifee

Try this link.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2348167,00.asp

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice