1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving single Favorite from IE 11 to Edge

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by JackB, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JackB

JackB Thread Starter

This seems to be a difficult issue. It does NOT involve how to import favorites from IE 11 to Microsoft Edge. I have already done that. The problem is that I accidently deleted a folder after importing all favorites into Edge. I still have that file in IE 11 but it is with all my other favorites previously moved to Edge. [I have a lot of Favorites] I am afraid to import favorites again just to get that one file for fear they when they all come over again it will create a mess with the duplication. Is there a way to get this one file imported into Edge from IE simply? I have tried to copy the folder which failed. The only thing I could think of was to delete every folder in IE 11 except the one I need then import to Edge but would prefer not to do that. Is there a way to import just one file that I am missing?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Do you mean a website bookmark?

3. JackB

JackB Thread Starter

I guess so as I do not know any other. In this case, in my Favorites, I added a new file named restaurants. Then when visiting that restaurants web site I would add it to my Favorites in the "Restaurant" folder. That folder was accidently deleted after importing all folders from IE 11. It has about 60 restaurants in it and I need to move it from IE to Edge without importing all the folders over again.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    One way to do it is to export the folder from IE to a HTML file then get Edge to import it

Example:
    upload_2019-8-22_11-54-19.png

You would need to select the folder that is in there.

5. JackB

JackB Thread Starter

Ok, I have been there but can't find any option to export the folder to Edge.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You export to an HTML file first, then import it via Edge.

7. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Did you do a export to file from IE and the imported that file into Edge?
    The file that is made by the export should be a "Plain Text" type and any text editor can be used.

If so, copy that file (if you still have it ) and edit all of the unwanted links and then try and import that file into Edge.

8. JackB

JackB Thread Starter

How exactly do I export the file? I do not see what looks like that option when I right click the file. I would have thought it would have been in the "send to" section but can't see anything there.

9. cornemuse

cornemuse

Can you "backup" the file/bookmarks/faves first, & then import/whatever it? Now you would have a backup, , ,?

10. JackB

JackB Thread Starter

I have a back up external hard drive but don't understand what you are suggesting. How does having a back up get my file moved from IE to Edge?

11. DaveA

First Name:
    David
  12. JackB

JackB Thread Starter

OK, I am getting there.....sort of. I went into "file" in IE and followed directions for exporting a file. I was able to choose the restaurant file I want to move but ran into a little trouble when I went to "browse" as I was not sure what to select to export the file. As a test I chose my documents and the file appeared there. I created a new folder in Edge Favorites, named it "restaurants" then was able to move the restaurant files from documents into that new folder. A minor problem is now when I select the new restaurant folder in Edge it now has a sub file also named restaurants [I tried to move with cursor into new restaurant folder but could not.] When selecting the restaurant folder I moved from documents it comes up like a document list on the left of the screen, not a list like the other folders in favorites do that remain in the favorites box. [hope that makes sense]. I assume that is probably because I elected to export them to my documents. When I "browsed" to select where to export should I have selected another option so the folder would look like all the others when opening in favorites? Thanks.

13. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    In any file management action, when one is moving or copying a folder, one never makes the new folder and then take the action.
    One only needs to move or copy the FOLDER (which will includes the files AND sub folders) to the new location.

14. cornemuse

cornemuse

I have like 10.000, (a bit exaggerated!) bookmarks. When I am gonna started anew, I save bookmarks as an html file, in new computer I open the html file in (ie, firefox), select/open the bookmark/s I want & bookmark them straightaway.

edit: another option: open the page you want to move/transfer, in location bar, highlite, copy, & then paste to a new *.doc file. Where you want to bookmark it now, copy from doc & then paste in new browser? & 'enter', that page should open, bookmark it, walla!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  15. JackB

JackB Thread Starter

That is the problem. I can't copy the folder in IE in any manner that allows pasting it in Edge and the only place to export seemed to be in "documents".

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!