Moving the content of a hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xdaver2

Is there a way to move the whole content of a main hard drive with windows vista and a few games installed without harming/damaging the windows (and games, but windows is higher priority)???

Is there a way to move the whole content of a main hard drive with windows vista and a few games installed without harming/damaging the windows (and games, but windows is higher priority)???
you can not just "move" windows, you must reinstall it to a different hard drive...the games and any of "your" stuff that was put into windows can be moved..

hope this helps.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
It depends on what you are moving. If the intent is to replace your 80GB hard drive with a larger 1TB drive (example) and make no other changes, then you would either:
1. Install the new drive in the computer as a second drive, run the drive manufacturers cloning utility, then remove the old drive; or
2. Make an image of the 80GB drive, replace it with the 1TB drive, then restore the image to it.

Keep in mind this works only if the drive is being installed into the same computer. If you are changing computers then you need to reinstall Windows and all programs as kenny111111 said.

xdaver2

Can u explain how to do each one of those Frank?
And one more question
If i do one of the methods u suggested but the drive i want to move windows and stuff to has files on it(Movies and game Iso's) does it matter?

I stand corrected....GOOD stuff frank, glad you replied, I learned something too...

merry christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online