1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving the content of a hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by xdaver2, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xdaver2

xdaver2 Thread Starter

Is there a way to move the whole content of a main hard drive with windows vista and a few games installed without harming/damaging the windows (and games, but windows is higher priority)???

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

you can not just "move" windows, you must reinstall it to a different hard drive...the games and any of "your" stuff that was put into windows can be moved..

hope this helps.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It depends on what you are moving. If the intent is to replace your 80GB hard drive with a larger 1TB drive (example) and make no other changes, then you would either:
    1. Install the new drive in the computer as a second drive, run the drive manufacturers cloning utility, then remove the old drive; or
    2. Make an image of the 80GB drive, replace it with the 1TB drive, then restore the image to it.

Keep in mind this works only if the drive is being installed into the same computer. If you are changing computers then you need to reinstall Windows and all programs as kenny111111 said.

4. xdaver2

xdaver2 Thread Starter

Can u explain how to do each one of those Frank?
    And one more question
    If i do one of the methods u suggested but the drive i want to move windows and stuff to has files on it(Movies and game Iso's) does it matter?

5. kenny111111

kenny111111

I stand corrected....GOOD stuff frank, glad you replied, I learned something too...

merry christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice