Moving the Google Toolbar using W 7 and Internet Explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wallenberg

I recently dropped my PC and had to re-install Windows 7. I downloaded and installed the Google toolbar and now, I want to move the Google toolbar so that it's on the same row as the address bar. In other words, I'd like to move the Google toolbar up one row, so that I can conserve some space.

Please excuse this very long post. It sure seems like a poor use of time to try and search for the answer myself instead of just asking for the answer. But that is the recommended approach and so I thought I'd try that to see just how it goes.

Originally, I was going to post a request for help here in this forum on how to move that toolbar to same row containing the address bar. Before doing that, I wanted to prove that I had attempted to search this forum and try to find any relevant posts that would help me with my search. There are two reasons for that. The first is that I believe that is the proper procedure and the second is that doing that will help me to learn and remember how it's done for the next time I need to do this.

Ultimately, I used the search tool to search this forum for "windows 7 internet explorer moving the google toolbar". But I couldn't find any good solutions in this forum.

With Windows XP, I recall that I first had to unlock the Google toolbar and then it was easy to move it around. But I'm having difficulty doing that using W 7. In XP, I R-Clicked on the taskbar which had an option called "Toolbars" and from there I was able to do what I needed fairly easily.

Unfortunately, I'm finding that as I examine and explain the various options and choices that are presented to me, this task just keeps getting more and more complex and it seems to just keep expanding in a never-ending sea of complexity. It appears as if there's just no end to this task.

But, let me take you through as much of it as I can and let's see where we wind up.

Unfortunately, I can't find the correct options in W 7. When I R-Click on the taskbar I see one option called "Toolbars" which contains the following eight items:
Toolbars, (contains a drop down menu), Cascade Windows, Show Windows Stacked, Show Windows Side by Side, Show the Desktop, Start Task Manager, Lock the Taskbar, Properties,

The Drop Down Menu associated with the Toolbars option contains the following five choices which are all valid selections for a toolbar to appear on the Taskbar:
Address, Links, Tablet PC Input Panel, Desktop, New Toolbar,

The Properties option is equivalent to opening the Control Panel and selecting the item called Taskbar and Start Menu Properties. But I cannot find any way to unlock the Google toolbar.

Next, I tried to R-Click on the row near the top containing the "buttons" corresponding to each open Internet page. I don't know what this row is called. But it's very similar to the Taskbar found near the bottom of the window. It has one button for each Internet site that was opened. When I R-Click on this row, I get the following seven options: Menu bar, Command bar, Favorites bar, Status bar, Google toolbar, Lock the toolbars and Show tabs on a separate row. I was sure to unlock the toolbars here and when I did that I immediately noticed a small veritical bar appeared to the left of the Google toolbar row but I tried and tried to move this bar to another row but just couldn't do it.

Next, I tried to R-Click on the row containing the Google toolbar. When I did that, I got the following four options: Google Toolbar Options, Google Toolbar Help, Enable More Buttons, Pin all Buttons,
I apologize for this very long post. I hoped it would help me remember this experience and also demonstrate to the other members that I did try to search this forum before asking for help. When making this kind of post requesting help, as I understand it, is the recommended procedure. I first searched the forum to check if I can find the answer for myself. Then, I saved this post and all the answers so that if I ever needed to do it again, I would be able to find the information more quickly.

However, this sure does seem like a bad use of time and effort because I'm spending a whole lot of time trying to find an already existing solution to this question when it would be so much easier to just ask the question and get someone to answer it.

In the end, I have come very close to finding a way to move the Google toolbar to one of the other lines on the IE window. But I still can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone help me please?

TulsaRose

Rosie
I got bogged down half-way through your long post so I'll tell you the simple method I use in IE8. It may be different for you, depending on your browser version. Left click and drag the "seperator bar" from the very far left side of the Google tool bar to any location you choose.

Rosie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online