Moving to Israel - Overseas Hardware Compatibility

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mplusm

Moving to Israel January 2005 but want to buy a new Dell system here. I know the CPU is switchable to 220. But what are the hardware compatibility gotchas I should consider. Any issues related to monitors (plan to get a Dell flatscreen) or printers (I have a Brother 1440 personal laser).

Thanks!

Hi...

As far as I know, Israel is on the European standard of voltage... 220V at 50 Hz. So, your computer itself will not have a problem since the PSU is switchable to 220. You will most likely need a new power cord or an adapter for that specific countries outlets. However, the end that goes into the computer are all standardize and I'm sure you can get one of those when you get there.

Now, your monitor is most likely auto switching, so it will detect the current. However, it is always worthwhile to ask the dealer where you purchase it if it is autoswitching or not. Not all monitors have the power supply that is autoswitching. Also, if it is autoswitching, you will have to get an adapter for the power cable for the outlet side. Same as with the PC... or a cable provided it can be detached from the monitor or does not have an inline transformer on it.

Your printer... You won't be able to use it. Not unless you use a special transformer that transforms the voltage from 220 down to the 110 standard. So, do not hook the printer up to the 220 voltage directly.

One other thing that you most likely will have to replace, would be your modem. Some modems can be "flashed" to met specific country coded specifications on the communications networks. However, considering the price of modems, I would just purchase one when I got there, provided you will even be using a modem.

Other than that.... you shouldn't have any other problems.

If you are worried you can always just buy a transformer and hook it up. That what my parents did so we could use are racklet stove(for melting chese but only swiss cheese is aloud).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online