1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Moving Win 7 HDD to Win 10 Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cwwozniak, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chuck
    My nine year old Compaq Desktop's motherboard or PSU is acting up and I suspect may not last much longer. I'll probably be getting a new or refurbished desktop running Windows 10 in the next week or two.

The Compaq is running 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium and has been kept up to date. It has six user accounts, most of them with Admin privileges and with known user passwords. I would like to use its HDD as a secondary drive on my new computer. What do I need to do while it is still in the old computer to make sure I can easily access all files for all users when it is moved to the new computer? I would rather not go through any "taking ownership" issues that I recall occurring when people were moving HDDs between computers in the days of Windows XP. I will not be trying to migrate any installed programs from the old to the new operating system.

Before anyone starts telling me I should not be reusing such an old HDD, the 800GB HDD that originally came with the Compaq started reporting SMART warnings in February, 2018. I replaced it with a Western Digital Blue 1TB drive. I used the WD utitlities to format and partition the new drive and migrate the OS, installed applications, and user files from the old HDD to the new one.

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I'd simply remove the Windows login password(s) first and then test. To do this, in Windows 7, press [winkey]+[R], type in netplwizand press [Enter]. Under the "User" tab, uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" and then click "Apply". When the "Automatically Log on" box appears, enter the user name you wish to disable the password for, type in your account password in the two fields where it's asked, click "OK", then click "OK" on the "User Accounts" window. From now on, when your computer starts up, Windows 7 will stop prompting for a user name and password.

3. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Thank you SpywareDr. Removing the passwords would probably be the easiest way to make sure I can access the files with the new computer and OS.

I am a bit confused by this part.
    Will I still be able to somehow choose which of the six accounts to use during bootup?

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I don't believe so. But I thought the goal was to attempt to make sure "take ownership" wasn't going to interfere with file access when the drive was no longer used as the boot drive.

Another way to side-step "take ownership" is to boot with something other than Windows, (such as Linux). You can then access whatever you like.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no idea if removing the passwords for all user accounts will achieve the desired results. I'm guessing 'yes,' but I really do not know.

But, for sure, you do not want to choose "Automatically Log on" if you want to continue to login to different accounts.

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I agree. First and foremost, it is not safe.

7. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have a refurbished HP Compaq on order and I should have it by this Thursday. It runs Windows 10 Pro. I also purchased MS-Office 2016 Pro as my current installed version (2003) is getting a bit antiquated and is not compatible with Windows 10.

I am just going to remove the passwords from all the accounts on the old computer before moving the drive.

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

(y) Sounds like a plan.

9. C141

C141

I run Office 2003 Word on my Win 10 computer. If I recall correctly it's Outlook Email, which I do not use, that has issues under 10. No need for Powerpoint & Excel but when I did have them installed both worked. You would just have to try it. Keep in mind there is no Windows support for 2003. I'll consider downloading one of the free alternative office suites if any issues arise.

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    We use Office 2013 at work and there are a few things I liked about Excel and Word better than the 2003 versions. We use Outlook for our work email, but I may stick with Thunderbird for my new computer at home.

11. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

LibreOffice is an excellent free and open-source office suite.

12. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I used Office 365 (2016) it is a good version.
    The only thing I wish MS would bring back, is the Right Click.
    It was (is) so much easer than trying to figure out what ribbon to use!

13. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am still getting used to ribbons with Office 2013 at work. I have purchased an activation code for a download version of Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2016. I have downloaded the setup file using the supplied activation code and saved it to the external HDD. I'll install it after I receive the computer and run it for a little while.

14. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I have run into a problem with using the old drive in the new computer.

The new computer arrived yesterday. I set it up and installed MS-Office 2016 Pro Plus without any problems.

It took over a half dozen restarts, but I was able to start up the old computer and log into my Windows user account. I removed my Windows password and also removed the master passwords for Firefox and Thunderbird.

The HDD came out of the old computer with no problem and it took a small amount of fiddling to put it in the open internal 3.5 bay slot on the new computer. I had to work around there not being spare mounting screws supplied in the chassis. It connected to the SATA 1 connector on the motherboard. In the BIOS settings, it does show up as SATA 1 and the original HDD as SATA 0. All of the BIOS settings I could find show the drive as being enabled.

My problem is that the old drive is not recognized by Windows 10. It does not show up in Explorer for "This PC" or in the Disk Management control panel (screen cap attached). Am I missing some setting in the BIOS or Windows? The refurbish computer seems to have been previously used in environment where security may have been taken seriously. It includes an electro-mechanical side cover lock controlled by the motherboard.

System information for the new computer:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8080 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1988 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1861 GB (1840 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1497
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Don't know why the installed Norton Security package is not showing up for the Antivirus.

Attached Files:

15. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I solved the problem with the old drive not showing up, but don't know exactly how it happened. I was looking into the usage of a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) and its settings. It appears that my motherboard supports this feature. I rebooted the computer and was asked if I wanted to activate TPM. I declined and the computer continued to boot up. The drive showed up and I seem to have full access to it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice