1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving Windows 10 to an SSD without corrupting my HDDs.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ijustneedhelptofixmyssd, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ijustneedhelptofixmyssd

ijustneedhelptofixmyssd Thread Starter

Hey, i just bought a Samsung 860 EVO SSD and i really want to put my Windows 10 on that drive. I'm scared of when i reinstall Windows 10 or move Windows 10 over to the SSD that i might lose all of the things i have on my other HDDs. Is there a way to get Windows 10 onto the SSD without it corrupting my HDDs?

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

One easy to do it is to connect one end of an Apricorn SATA Wire Notebook Hard Drive Upgrade Kit with USB 3.0 Connection ASW-USB3-25 to a USB port on your computer, connect the other end to your new Samsung 860 EVO SSD, then run the enclosed softare (on CD) to make the copy. When it's done, power down, replace the old hard drive with the new SSD, the power it back up. That's it, you're done. And everything is the same as it was on the hard drive ... except the SSD is a heck lot faster. :)

3. ijustneedhelptofixmyssd

Do you think i could just remove all of my HDDs, only put in the SSD. Download Windows 10 onto the SSD and put the HDDs back into the computer?

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

You would need to install Windows 10 onto the SSD. If you were to simply "Download Windows 10 onto the SSD", Windows wouldn't be able to boot or run. It must be installed.

Once it is installed however, yes, you can then attach other hard drives to the computer and use them as storage drives.

5. ijustneedhelptofixmyssd

is the only way to install Windows 10 on the SSD to have a CD?

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

No, it can be installed from a bootable USB flash drive.

7. ijustneedhelptofixmyssd

Could i move my Windows 10 from my HDD to my SSD without any storage lost?

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Yes. One way is as I detailed above. Another way would be to use backup software to clone (duplicate) the HDD to the SSD. Duplicating the old HDD onto the new SSD keeps you from having to do things like re-installing all of your programs, re-setting up all of your Windows and other program settings, and getting all of your stuff -- pics, docs, music, etc. -- copied over onto the SSD.

Re-installing Windows (instead of copying it over) does give you a clean, new fresh start.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First and foremost, IF the data is important, you make multiple backups [on separate media] ALL drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.

To move your current windows install;
    1 System OFF, open the case and install the new ssd
    2 Pull the pw connectors from all drives except the system drive ie the one with windows
    3 PW on and use the samsung data migration tool to clone your old drive to the new drive
    4 Very important. Once done with the clone, shutdown and pull the old drive out. Install the ssd to the same cable as the old system drive. Make pw connections
    5 Pw ON and make sure everything works ie drive letters correct, etc. Shutdown and reconnect your other drives. Pw ON and windows will assign a drive letter to each new drive
    Done.

AmateurJohn likes this.
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice