1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving Windows from one partition to another possible?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Several months back, I installed Windows 2000 on my wife's drive E. It has become problematic because of the way I have my network set up and I am now wishing I had put it on drive C.

Is there a way to move the WINNT and Program Files folders from E to C and maybe edit BOOT.INI without having to just reinstall everything?

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

Move EVERYTHING onto the C:\ drive, and change boot.ini to look somthing like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Make sure you have thise settings correct for your system:
    multi(0)
    disk(0)
    rdisk(0)
    partition(1)

The BOOT.INI file I copied onto here is Master on the primary channel and the 1st partition, you may need to change it.

3. Alex Ethridge

I got "Windows cannot log you on because the profile cannot be located....."

I'll undo what I just did and I'll try moving Documents and Settings while Windows is running and see what happens.

4. Alex Ethridge

Documents and Settings cannot be moved, copied or deleted.

I think I'll just load WINNT fresh onto C and leave the old WINNT folder on drive E for now. I can then later edit BOOT.INI to run either C:\WINNT or E:\WINNT. At least I can swap my wife back to E periodically until I get the C copy fully up running.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are utilities that attempt to move an installation to a new drive letter, but I've never seen one that didn't create more problems than it solves. I think starting from scratch is the smart choice. :)

6. Popeyedice

Popeyedice

Partition Magic has a tool for that, I'm too scared to try it, tell me what happens ;)

7. Alex Ethridge

I perused through Partition Magic's (version 8) menus and I could not find anything related to moving anything.

I started an installation of Win2k on drive C. Since the last one was on E, it gives me a boot menu to go to either C or E. At leas that way, I'll be able to keep my wife up and running until I finally finish the installation on C. I just don't have time to do it all at once.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice