1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving Windows XP Pro Sata Hard Drive to new system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rdonovan1, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

I was just looking around and I saw a thread that indicated that it might be possible to transfer a Windows XP Pro hard drive to a new system.

I'm wondering if this is true or not because at the moment I am looking at getting new Intel D865GSA Motherboard to replace the same type of motherboard because it failed on me. I was also looking at putting in a similar processor as well. The original motherboard was an Intel D865GSA and the Processor was an Intel P4 640 processor.

That was the original hardware that was in there when I installed Windows XP on the hard drive, but due to the age of the hardware people have told me that it would be better to just upgrade the motherboard, processor and memory. I've been looking at the idea of doing that with a barebones system and I could do that, but I would need to use the hard drive that Windows XP Pro is currently installed on without any loss of actual data.

It's important that I keep whatever data is on there due to a legal case that I'm dealing with, but I don't know what will happen if I try to upgrade things so that it has a newer motherboard, processor and memory that can support Windows Vista or higher.

What can I do to make sure that I can access this drive as is without any loss of data?. I don't mind doing device drivers at all as that won't affect the data, but reinstalling XP will cause it to lose the data and at the moment I can't back it up or print it because of what happened with the original motherboard and processor.

I suspect that the original motherboard could have blown out on me because of a bad power strip, but at the moment I can't prove that theory. It's possible that could have caused the power supply to go bad and in turn that could have caused the motherboard to go bad.

One person told me that the processor could have been affected by the blowout, but at the moment I'm not sure if that is the case or not.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions as to what might have happened and as to what I can do about the whole thing?

It's imperative that I keep all e-mails and IM's that might be on that drive as that can help me to prove my case in court.

Here's the Barbones system that I'm currently looking at:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat....asp?EdpNo=7108918&csid=ITD&body=REVIEWS#tabs

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, an 865 chipset board is pretty old. I would NOT be putting money into that old of a system.

Next if you read the thread regarding swapping boards without a reinstall, you would see that I always recommend doing a clean install if possible. To answer your question, of course it is possible. As I posted I have done this many times in the past [and just did it for a home theater system I built] Mainly because I am too lazy to do the full install and it was working fine before swapping boards, cpu, ram, etc.

Next this statement
    Data that is not backed up is data you do not care about. If you are so worried about this data, then you back it up. End of story.

3. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

I don't know if I did the right thing or not, but I recently ordered the computer that I showed in the link.

I would have backed things up if I had been able to back then, but I was unable to do so because the entire problem happened too quickly.

At first I thought that Windows XP was just starting to go bad, but I was apparently wrong because just as I was trying to diagnose things the power supply on the computer blew out on me. I replaced the power supply with one that I got from Radio Shack, but that didn't really help the problem much because after that the motherboard blew out on me.

We are not sure if the processor was taken out or not with the motherboard and I suspect that the power supply was effected by me using a poor power strip that was not really designed to protect computers, but I could be wrong as I bought the system off of eBay in 2007 as a barebones system and it's possible that the company that sold me the computer initially used substandard parts.

That's one of those questions that I may never fully have the answer to. Hopefully when I get the new computer system I will not have a problem installing and using the Windows XP Pro drive in that computer.

Theoretically I shouldn't have a problem with it, but until I actually receive it and go to install and run it I won't really know for sure.

At this point in time, time is the only way for me to know for sure.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I can just about guarantee you it will not boot; you will get the bsod. If you read the guide, there is a procedure to follow to swap boards without a clean install. Since your system no longer runs, that option is not possible. You might get lucky and it will work however I highly doubt it.

5. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

We'll find out after I get the computer and install the drive. Until then it's nothing more than pure speculation.

For all I know it might work if I boot it into safe mode.

6. Hughv

Hughv

Backup should be part of your regular routine so it won't "Happen too fast" again.
    It would be very simple to remove this drive and:
    A.Install it as a second drive in a new system.
    B. Get a USB adapter or enclosure and copy the files.
    When you install the drive you may find that a repair install solves the boot problem.

7. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

That drive is going to be the primary drive in the system until I get all of the information that I need and can afford to use the drive for something else.

It was setup as the primary drive in the old system so it should work in the new system in theory.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Almost never does with xp. I have seen vista and win7 boot successfully after a board swap however xp is not going to do it unless you either follow the procedure outlined OR the board uses the same chipset ie amd 790fx, p45, etc.

As I said before data you do not backup is data you do not care about. With the price of hard drives so cheap, there is no excuse for a lack of backups.

Why not just buy another drive and clean install windows; then connect your current drive and copy whatever you want? Seems like a MUCH better idea than your "hope it will work"

9. Hughv

Hughv

What cjdriver said.
    Quit screwing around with this important data and get it copied

10. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

The new computer is going to come with a 1 TB hard drive so I could use that to boot the system, but I'm not sure as to how I'll be able to get the information that's on the drive that I've been mentioning on to the 1 TB so that I can view it and eventually print it out or otherwise save it.

Some of the information was in the form of Outlook e-mails and some of it was in the form of Yahoo Messenger IM's that were saved in Yahoo messenger on that drive. That's the hard part about everything. I've tried to view the drive using Vista on my notebook and an external drive enclosure, but that didn't work at all. Maybe something will work when I get the new system.

Until the new system arrives I'm not going to be able to do anything about it. All I can do at the moment is sit and wait for the new system to arrive at the moment.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the drive still works, then when you connect it using an external case, you should be able to read the files on the drive. Outlook saves files in a .pst format. You can import that into outlook. IM I have no idea since I do not use IM. You may need to take ownership of the files however that is a simple process.

You do understand that the system you bought does not have an operating system installed. You are going to have to install windows on the system. In addition, you will need a retail version of windows since any recovery type disk that came with a big box system is not going to work.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice