1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moving WinXP System Folder to Dynamic Volume

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by firecraker, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firecraker

firecraker Thread Starter

Hello,

I initially used hardware RAID 0 (fakeraid) to speed up my pc. However, I can't easily use linux due to drivers being closed source, and I feel that, atleast with my raid controller, hardware raid is infact slower than software raid, after doing alot of benchmarking.

I converted both discs in windows to dynamic, and created stripped volumes. The problem is Windows itself is on the simple system volume, and can't be installed on a stripped dynamic volume.

So, is there any way I can move, or, how much of the windows system folder and program files folder and documents and settings folder can I move onto the stripped dynamic volume and still have windows boot? How do I configure things so that programs, and any newly installed programs install into the folders on the dynamic volume?

i heard many accounts of it being possible, but I can't find anything on google.

lengthy instructions are no problem, actually desirable and greatly appreciated :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Boy, you are really trying to make this an unstable mess, aren't you! Do yourself a favor and just buy something like a WD Raptor for the Windows disk and call it good.

3. DefConDelta

DefConDelta

Apparently you have the "need for speed" ...haha....Also, you like to live dangerously.

All your programs etc will be strewn out between 2 disks which is very very difficult to recover if one hard drive bites the dust.

I don't understand what you're worried about as far as the op system>

http://www.examcram2.com/articles/article.asp?p=332154&seqNum=3&rl=1

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice