1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mozback Thunderbird > empty folders

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gwatts, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gwatts

gwatts Thread Starter

Because of multiple problems with Windows 7 such as Windows Explorer not working, and Dragon NaturallySpeaking not working I reinstalled an image of Windows 7. Also I did this because off some malware which continually hijacked my browsers. I could not remove these malware hijackers but they did not seem to be related to Thunderbird.

Before reinstalling Windows 7, I made a backup of Thunderbird 17.0.3 with Mozbackup 1.5.1. So now the only backup I have of a pretty heavy mail file is Mozbackup. I was not aware that my Thunderbird was IMAP.

However on restoration using Mozbackup multiple folders are missing and the sent folder is present but it is empty. I am pretty certain that I compacted folders just before running Mozbackup. Normally I compact folders every few days.

I've read multiple solutions and tried some without results possibly because many of them appear to be not applicable (it is not possible to follow the directions because those particular directions do not apply, presumably due to my version of Thunderbird).

I changed the pcv files of the Mozbackup to zip and extracted them to the folder TB_Extracted. The msf and empty folders are all present in one of the several, for example, mail.watts-2.net files. There is data in the empty icon and also the msf file.

Can one change IMAP Mozbackup from .pcv to .zip?

I would greatly appreciate advice as to how to convert the Mozbackup of my mail folders to an intact and working Thunderbird. Thank you.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16361 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M, 1536 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 114270 MB, Free - 39531 MB; D: Total - 476936 MB, Free - 181158 MB;
    Motherboard: CLEVO, P150HMx
    Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012, Updated and Enabled

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Hi gwatts,

Mozbackup PCV file is basically just a zipped copy of the data you selected to backup.
    You can just change the pcv extension to zip and it will open with a double click by your default zip program.
    If you selected everything, you should be able to extract everything to a folder and clone it in to a new Profile.

3. gwatts

gwatts Thread Starter

throoper
    Thank you for responding. I have changed the extension to zip and tried to overwrite my sent folder in C: .... which is missing the posts from14 through 25 February. No changes occur.
    Perhaps this suggests that the Mozbackup sent folder is corrupt.

If I recall properly there are no new or recent versions off Mozbackup but it is certainly possible that I changed the versions on Thunderbird between the time I made the backup and tried to restore it. Does this give you any insight into anything I might try?

4. Koot

Koot

gwatts, when using MozBackup to create the .pcv file - are you sure that you checked the box to include a backup of your messages? I have recently used MozBack (Ver. 1.5.1) successfully four times to transfer Mozilla Thunderbird messages, settings, address books, add-ons, etc. from four old computers to brand new computers. It worked beautifully without a hitch every time...

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

If the backup was created prior to the dates of the missing messages, then they won't be included in the backup data.
    With IMAP, they should be stored at the server and should show up when you access the server.

To take a look at the contents of the mbox files (those are the ones with no extension and where the message data is stored), you can use this utility.
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dbxviewer.html

I know it says OE DBX viewer, but it also will open and display the contents of mbox files.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice