1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mozilla Firefox won't open after installing it.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dmrandagk, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmrandagk

dmrandagk Thread Starter

I have installed Mozilla Firefox on a friend's computer. She is on XP and it appears to download and install, but when I try to run it the program won't open.

She has Norton 360 Anti virus all singing and dancing program. Could this be blocking Firefox?

Any clues?

dmrandagk

2. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

Make sure Firefox is on the "allowed" list for Norton and any firewall you may have on there, too.

3. Michael York

Michael York

Hi dmrandagk,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

If Norton 360 has the latest updates applied, when you installed Firefox it should have automatically been added to the Norton Firewall "Program Control" list. If it has not been added, make sure that you have the latest updates applied to Norton 360 by manually running LiveUpdate. You can do this by opening Norton 360, mouse-over the "PC Security" bubble and choose "Check for Updates." If any updates are installed, restart your computer and then launch Firefox and see if you can access the web. If you still have problems, please carefully follow the instructions in the document below.

Allow Internet-enabled applications access through the Norton Firewall

Let me know if this resolves the issue.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. dmrandagk

dmrandagk Thread Starter

I have not been able to look at my neighbour's computer since you sent me some advice, but I will try it when possible and let you know if she can then use Firefox. Thanks very much for your time.

5. dmrandagk

dmrandagk Thread Starter

I have now been to see my friend whose computer won't open Firefox. We got in touch with Norton support and they took over the computer remotely and disabled Norton and we still could not start Firefox, so they concluded that it could not be a Norton problem.

However, she used to be able to follow links to URLs sent in emails and then could not, so we eventually f9und that IE was not ticked as the default browser, and by setting IE as the default browser, links are now able to be followed, but we still cannot start Firefox. We are stumped.

dmrandagk

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

A simple thing to try is to open the folder at C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox and locate the firefox.exe file. Change its name to firefox1.exe and double click it.
    If the program starts, then it's likely a firewall or malware that's the problem.

If it doesn't start, change the name back to firefox.exe and do a complete uninstall.
    Remove Firefox using Add/Remove programs.
    Be sure to manually remove the following folders if they exist after uninstalling:

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Mozilla
    C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla

Go to the Mozilla site HERE and download the latest version.
    Boot the computer into Safe Mode and try installing it.
    Reboot into normal mode and see if it will run.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/844795