1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mozilla Thunderbird backups taking up TONS of space

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bj nick, Nov 11, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I've been using Thunderbird for close on 25 years now....my email over the years is very important to me to preserve. It's basically an unsupported, ancient program, MozBackup refuses to create any further backups, and I'm understandably nervous about not losing the backups I have. So.....I have a TON of PCV files on my C: drive.....100s of Gigs worth......I'm sure there's lots of repetition, but I'm too nervous to delete anything. How can I reliably determine which backups I could safely delete?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you are backing up Thunderbird to your C drive than that's not really a good backup. You need to be backing up to multiple external drives or multiple online cloud storage solutions that are unaffected by things that could affect your computer; local C drive backups are useless against ransomware, hard drive failure, theft, etc. You can then likely keep all 100GB's of backups on there for as long as you like. Realistically do you need a backup from 25 years ago or are a couple from the from the previous week or a year good enough?

While MozBackup is no longer updated it does still work, Thunderbird is still actively supported, and you can just manually back it up if MozBackup is no longer working for you: https://www.lifewire.com/back-up-thunderbird-settings-1173141

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thanks, sorry for the delay in responding. Yeah, you're right: C drive is not a good BU place. The issue is that I am intensely paranoid about losing my old emails.....terrified that once I delete the folders from the C: drive, something could go wrong and I lose them. I have backed up some of the folders on external drives, but my plan now is to upload ALL of the backups to Google Drive or OneDrive; right now I'm working on this (having a simple issue with OD that should be resolved shortly. I'd rather not pay more to get the needed extra storage on GD, but will if necessary.)

I know MozBackup is SUPPOSED to work, but it doesn't on my machine, not any more.....it did for years, but a year ago it just started giving me error messages near the completion of every attempt. When I posted here, I was reminded that they officially don't support it any more. I got no help on it.

4. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

What I'd really like to know is, how can I tell where I've got backups that are just backups of backups, and I'm wasting all that space? Is that clear? I would bet I've probably got 200-300 G's tied up in redundant backups I don't need and wish I could just delete.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If they are files with .PCV extensions, search for those and remove the older ones that you don't want.

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

They are all PCV files.....are you saying I can safely delete all but the most recent?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you want to yes, if they are just backups and you want to delete them you can, deleting a backup will not remove your current Thunderbird data.

8. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Okay, I think I'm good....but the problem is that they're backed up to OneDrive now, which still doesn't create more HD space......I'm thinking about disconnecting the sync to my HD..........so I have the folders backed up to the cloud, but not on my hard drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235558

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice