1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mozilla Thunderbird - Inbox not loading

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mixx941, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hi everyone. After removing spyware and viruses from a laptop for someone, their Inbox does not load in Thunderbird. It looks like it is loading, but just sits there indefinitely. In the bottom it says "Building Summary File for Inbox" but doesn't seem to progress, and then it gives the hourglass on the mouse.

They do have a big Inbox file, but it loaded right up before. I took their Inbox file to my AMD 64 3000+ running Thunderbird and tried to load it here. It took about 2-3 minutes to load up....while before the spyware/virus clean on the AMD 550MHz laptop it loaded right up.

The person who I am fixing it for just told me that they tried it earlier today, it took a very long (maybe 20-30 minutes) but it finally came up. Then, when they tried it a little later, it came right up within 5 seconds like it used to.

Now I'm trying and its not loading (but would probably load if I left it running for 25 minutes).

I tried updating the laptop to the latest version of Thunderbird, same result.

Any suggestions or ideas on this?

Thanks!

-Mark

2. 911

I don't know much about Thunderbird. Are you using Firefox for a browser ? Maybe it has the IE disease - overloaded Temporary Internet files. Try emptying the temp files (Tools>Internet Options - General tab, click the Delete buttons for Cookies and Files) and clear off-line content also. See if that clears up the problem.

3. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Yes, the laptop uses Firefox. Emptied all that stuff, no change.

-Mark

4. JayT

JayT

Probably the best way to fix it is to uninstall Thunderbird. Then go to C:/Program files and delete the Thunderbird folder. Then after you make sure all files are showing _Open My computer - click on Tools -Folder Options-click on View -scroll down a bit - check box that says "show all hidden files and folders---Click on C drive - Documents and Settings -your name -Application data -and delete the Thunderbird folder (it has your profiles in it). Then download and reinstall Thunderbird. Obviously there is a corrupt file somewhere and this is the only way you can do a complete and clean install.

5. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion JayT. The only question I have about that is why then on my AMD 64 machine where everything is working fine does it have the same effect (except loads in 5 minutes instead of 25+)?

If it was a corrupt file, then it would work on my clean box, wouldn't it?

Also, if the program was corrupt, the other Inboxes and "Sent" folder wouldn't load instantly. :confused: ....this is a wierd one.

-Mark

6. JayT

JayT

7. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Yep, I did that this weekend here. No replies yet so I thought I'd ask here, since the person I am trying to get this working for....well their business revolves around email, and they need to be able to send/receive, as well as see what they previously received/sent, etc.

-Mark

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice