Mozilla thunderbird

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jdemnyan1116

Recently, Thunderbird has been erasing/deleting my emails after visiting it three times in a row and it does it even if there are only 3 emails left on it. I looked for a setting to cancel the deleting but cannot find one. Some of the emails were important. I could see it if I had a lot of emails on it but only 3 or 4, it mostly happens when more are downloaded, and they delete before you have a chance to see them. Any help would be appreciated as its getting annoying losing your emails. Thank you

Couriant

James
What is the email account provider? Are you using IMAP or POP?

jdemnyan1116

Sorry to be stupid, but a friend of mine set up my computer and I don't have the least notion of what you are asking. I have DSL if thats any help. I looked in internet explorer, and firefox and found nothing about the IMAP or POP. Tried Thunderbird but could not figure out where to go. Windstream is my internet/email provider.

Couriant

James
Right click on your email account on the left hand side and choose Settings. Then click on Server Settings:

upload_2016-5-3_16-1-24.png

jdemnyan1116

It is Imap. I checked everywhere in there and found nothing checked to delete emails, It is set to download 2000 emails.

You got from account settings these places that delete.

Local Folder - Empty Trash on Exit

Junk Folder - Automatically delete junk mail older then ?? days

Disk Space - Delete all but the recent ?? messages and Delete messages more than ?? days old

Server Setting - Empty Trash on Exit

jdemnyan1116

checked out everything from above heewee and nothing was checked to delete. I even right now shut off junk mail. Question, my wife can pick up the email on her tablet, she reads it and then deletes it from her tablet. Could that be affecting the email on the computer? I can read it from my phone but it does not delete it.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If the wife's setup is set to delete from server, then yes that just may be your problem.

Couriant

James
As mentioned, if any other devices is set to use this email then you are looking to have problems. IMAP is set to see what is on the server so if she deletes it then it will delete it from all connected devices that syncs to the email account.

I will say any other that connects to the mail has options just like you do so yes they could be deleting.

You need to leave mail on server if you want to see it from other computers.

Note: leaving on server you got options too.

2016-05-05_100107.jpg

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts