1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mozilla vs. IE?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by cwilmot, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

I have heard some of the merits which Mozilla apparently boasts over IE Are there any users out there who can comment on this? Can one install Mozilla without first uinstalling IE?

2. BillC

BillC

I've not used Mozilla, but have read that people who do tend to like it. It is like firewalls or antivirus or whatever, each user has his or her favorite. You can install Mozilla without first uninstalling IE. Good luck.

3. spikefan

spikefan

I use mozilla, it is brill. Fast download of pages, easy searches, bookmarks which all open together so you can flick between most used sites. I am also trying firebird. the only thinkg with firebird is that it doesnot have a mail forwarding system like mozilla which is handy when trawling through sites which you would like to share with friends.
    I would recommend mozilla - firebird is only in its infancy at the mo.
    :)

4. bozz

bozz

Okay....ya had to bring up Mozilla Firebird.....I just gotta say that this browser is totally awesome. Please don't consider this spam....just an honest opinion.

Development is certainly in 'beta' stages, but it beats anything I've tried....and that's been a quite a lot.

I started checking out Firebird about a year ago. At first I thought it was chincy and dropped it. A couple of months later I took another look at it. Installed it; by the way...it's an stand alone application and doesn't take over your system files and such.

If you want to check it out, you really should spend some time in the forums. The support there is wonderful. You have the ability to set it up to just about any way you please.

Over the past nine month's, I haven't had the first popup. I don't get any of those drive-by suprise Gator type installs, FB doesn't utilize active-x, customizing toolbars down to one bar or whatever you please, removing menu items you don't use, tab browsing, mouse gestures, multiple search engine switches, on and on and on......

A new milestone is just around the corner. Firebird just keeps getting better all the time. Nightly versions come out all the time for user observations to identify bugs for develoment. Some builds are really nice and then some have issues. That's just progress. Install the latest milestone to get started.

There's nothing saying that you have to install and use FB completely from the start. Take your time, follow the forums, use the help site, post any questions. If you really want the ultimate experience and satisfaction with setting up and configuring a browser the way YOU want it to be....check it out. Just take your time. Once you see what you can do with it, you'll be glad you did.

http://texturizer.net/firebird/

5. cwilmot

cwilmot Thread Starter

Bozz, In which forum is Firebird discussed? cwilmot

6. hewee

hewee

7. bozz

bozz

8. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

In case some of you Mozilla/Firebird fans didn't know, Mozilla is dead....long reign Firebird.

The Mozilla crew is dropping Mozilla and will be focusing their attention on Firebird. If you liked the email client that came with Mozilla then check out Thunderbird (which I use). It's their stand-alone email client.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Now, IE doesn't even come close to what Firebird can offer. I used to be the biggest fan of IE when I first started doing web development but after working in the field for about two years I've come to realize that IE is a huge piece of ****.

If you're sick of pop-ups/pop-unders then check out Firebird. Also, the "block images from this server" is a great feature for blocking ads from those annoying ad sites. Add the functionality of tabbed browsing, AdBlock, and Mouse Gestures and you can't beat Firebird.

If you've ever been to a site that has ads all over the place Firebird can remove them. I never see ads anymore. AdBlock plus your "*" wildcard and you can block just about all ads.

http://www.texturizer.net/firebird/extensions.html

Check out the extensions. They even have some for Thunderbird!

9. starman2002

starman2002

I use Mozilla 1.3 and I like it much better than IE.On my system the pages load much faster and I no longer am bombarded with annoying pop up ads.I also use Firebird and its good but its still in development but its bright.I use IE mainly for getting W2K updates.
    To answer your original question yes you can install Mozilla or any other browser without uninstalling IE.

10. Corrosive

Corrosive

*cough**cough*,Opera*cough*... :D

11. vynsane

vynsane

firebird is awesome... i made it default. there are tiny little bugs, but at this stage of dev, it's on an amazing track.

i was looking for new browsers after i got attacked by trojan.ghosts because of IE, and in my searches decided to finally check out mozilla. well, when on www.mozilla.org i found out about firebird, and installed it and loved it so much i only use that one.

it renders really well, too. IE does a good job, nescape and mozilla are pretty good, and firebird is great at CSS - but i gotta say, opera sucks at supporting some tags/css rules - i've creates pages that look EXACTLY the same in IE, NS, MZ, and FB, and they are screwed in opera... plus all the extra space taken up by opera's toolbars and stuff... EWWW!

so, ya, firebird rocks your freakin' socks off!

12. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I use Mozilla under Red Hat 9 and Netscape 7 under Windows. I am very happy with both the browsers and don't miss IE at all. Tabbed browsing is great.

However, for mail clients, there is no equally good substitute as Outlook Express. It beats all the free ones.

13. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

:D

For a minute I thought you said Outlook Express......holy ****, you did!

14. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

15. Cédric

Cédric

huuummmm. I'll give it a try then.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice