1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MP3 for Sound Scheme?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by tacoman359, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tacoman359

tacoman359 Thread Starter

Is there any possible way to use mp3 files for my Windows sound scheme? I don't want to have to install a program or anything, although I don't mind editing my system files. As long as I'm using Sounds and Audio Devices to add the mp3 files, then I don't mind. I just don't want to use another application that will slow my computer down a lot. If anyone knows of a way to edit my Sounds and Audio Devices file to allow mp3 files to be used instead of just wav, then please let me know.

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why not just convert the mp3's to wav?

3. tacoman359

tacoman359 Thread Starter

It's a waste of hard drive space and I can't get them on my iPod as wav files. There are a couple hundred that I'd like to use (full songs) so it might take up a few gigabytes which I don't want to do.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're not going to be able to use a compressed file unless you want skips and hesitations. During boot, a lot of things are loading and using the CPU. If decompressing mp3 files were a queued task, CPU scheduling would most likely cause it to skip and hesitate. That is one reason uncompressed files are used. And even with those, some people get the skipping.

5. ferrija1

ferrija1

You can make copies of them, so you don't have to worry about your iPod (it should play them anyways). There aren't over a hundred system sounds, and there are only a few that play a lot. It also probably won't play the whole song, I think it only plays up to 30 or 60 seconds. Last, even two-hundred songs wouldn't typically take up more than a gigabyte.

I would use a program like Audacity or WavePad to shorten the song to your favorite part and to convert it to wave format.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!