1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mp3 Player Utilities Rdiskupdate / Firmware Upgrade Issue

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by --nknm--, Jul 31, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. --nknm--

--nknm-- Thread Starter

Hi, I would appreciate some advice on how to properly use this software as i can not click the Begin upgrading tab. I can load the firmware file, using the 10.0 version i'm trying to update an usb .mp3 player device's firmware but i had no success using this software, it displays no info for the currently installed version. The device is described as Generalplus Sd Device V2, has no integrated upgrade feature and does not function properly therefore i'm trying to perform this upgrade. I also welcome some insight about other software capable of accomplishing this task, tried a few others but could not get them to do it, i have already tried to contact the manufacturer, the drivers appear to be correctly installed, however i'm unaware if it is the right/latest ones, the device shows shows on windows explorer, i'm using 10, and device manager, i'm able to load music onto it, but it does not skip or play, an error message appears, i would appreciate if i could get advice on drivers to use with this, i tried setting a folder structure but the error persists, it did not come with a manual, from what i could understand it's an S1 device and i have obatined a firmware file for it that displays it's info on Rdiskupdate, i have what i suppose to be Winusb device drivers for an actions device, i would also appreciate if i could understand if they can modified to work with the one mentioned and if i might have to edit the .ini file for the software.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    This is the 3rd thread you've started on the same, as yet unnamed mp3 player.
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/com-port-and-driver-signing.1197321/
    https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-mp3-player-firmware-update.1202994/

Until you can find something about your mp3 player other than Generalplus sd device, we can't offer help.

You can't simply download software you would like and expect it to work on your mp3 player.

So if you don't know the manufacturer, you haven't gotten the firmware files yet.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I have a feeling that you probably do NOT know any details of the MP3 player other than as above.

I also believe that it is made in China
    so when you say you
    I suspect you will not receive a reply

I also suspect
    that a firmware update even if you could find one will not solve that problem.

However whilst we cannot help, as I have searched and cannot find any site of use in relation to GeneralPlus although I did find their website in China, that it is a lost cause.
    http://www.generalplus.com/1LVlangLNxx7SVyy7SNabout_p

Unless you just happen to strike lucky with your attempted contact OR on one of the other sites on which you have posted the same question.

Presuming the error message appears on the screen of the MP3 player when NOT connected to the computer OR indeed if it only appears when connected - what is the message - that MAY help, NOT with the firmware update but with the problem.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  4. --nknm--

--nknm-- Thread Starter

Thanks for replying, i apologize, being on the same subject but this is is something i would appreciate to see accomplished, Generalplus was the website i contacted, i have gotten no answer as of yet.
    from what i could understand, rather than being an S1 mp3 player or generic usb mp3 player i really do not know much about the device. I supposed i had the right firmware files given that i understood the device to be an S1 one and they match on rdiskupdate. I used to get a no file! message whereas i put tracks on the root folder or sub-folders before i understood creating a LOCAL fOLDER on the root of the device and loading tracks onto it would solve this issue. The same message appears whilst it's not connected to a pc.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Any hardware should NOT require a firmware update to function properly.

You should try to solve the actual problem before ASSUMING a firmware update will resolve the issue.

Based on what little information you provided, the player will not play any audio files and only shows an error code. What is the error code and what does it indicate?

First guess, the device is simply faulty.

6. --nknm--

--nknm-- Thread Starter

I am trying to format the device once more with a MBR, i just figured out an update of firmware would solve the issue. Before creating a folder called LOCAL FOLDER on the root of the device i was unable to get it to detect tracks loaded onto it, now, only plugged in. I referred to it as an error given that it displayed a message and could not get the tracks to play, a No File! message appeared, the same appears whilst the device is not plugged in, i am unable to use it in order to skip audio during playback or pause a track.

7. Macboatmaster

As I said on my reply
    and as you can see my colleague shares my opinion.

8. --nknm--

--nknm-- Thread Starter

I have now formatted the device with a MBR with FAT32 file system, i am still unable to get it functioning properly, i would still appreciate if i could get some advice on how get past this issue.

9. Macboatmaster

IMHO the problem as stated is the device itself not the format, or the firmware but a fault on the device more than likely on the play pause etc button contacts.
    I do not know what anyone else may suggest but I have no further advice to offer.
    Good luck with it.

10. --nknm--

--nknm-- Thread Starter

Thanks for replying, me figuring out an update of firmware would solve this issue was only a complete supposition, i am now clarified that it might not get the device functioning properly. the button works fine as i'm able to check features on the device and switch it on , i'm also able to skip tracks, only not playback. under SYS - Firmware ver, IC type AC3315 is displayed.

Edit: after typing the drive letter for the connected device i can get the option "Live Update" to appear on Rdiskupdate, once i click it the application closes itself. i figured out that if i edited the .ini file for the software i could perhaps get it functioning properly so i i'm pasting the following in order so i can perhaps be advised on this, it's the top section of that same file.

[Option]
    TitleInfoCount=4
    DebugInfoCount=48
    UIInfoCount=47
    UPDATEURL=
    VERFORMAT=%d.%d.%d%d,1,2,3,4
    PROTOCOL=0
    JUYUE=1

Assuming i could edit the drivers was also a complete supposition, as i'm not aware if this even something that can be accomplished, however i would still appreciate some advice on this.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    You don't know the device and so don't have the correct firmware files from the manufacturer which is step 1. Get the firmware from the manufacturer.
    There is no firmware on the device because you formatted it. So what are you going to update with no firmware left?

I own 4 mp3 players. (Three are SanDisk devices and one was given to me is called Aptiva which is the store brand of stores in the US, Office Max/ Office Depot). My oldest, Clip+ purchased 3 Aug. 2010, which makes it 9 years old in a few days. I have NEVER updated firmware on any of the 4 players. They are all working fine.

12. Macboatmaster

I doubt if the chip has been formatted that contain s the firmware
    I suspect the storage or the SD card has been formatted
    Firmware from China General Plus - :D

13. --nknm--

--nknm-- Thread Starter

Yes, have formatted the SD card, i figured out the device would not be functioning without firmware, the device in question looks like, what i found out trough google, to be an S1 one so i tried to obtain the firmware file for it and Rdiskupdate confirms to be proper for it, however i am still not sure of this, even so, i'd appreciate some advice on how to get the software functioning correctly, some other similar to it and on the drivers and the software file subject.

14. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    There are Chinese knockoffs of many popular brands of players available (I was recently considering an knockoff of my iPod Nano which was extremely cheap and had much more memory). In any case, these knockoffs do NOT use the original firmware. So even if your player looks like an S1, does not mean that it actually uses S1 firmware (regardless of what a third party app leads you to believe). And again, a firmware update is not required.

As to your actual problem, it could be several possible issues:

Unsupported SD card type. Although as it appears to be able to see and read the card, that is likely not the case. But there are several types of versions of the popular SD card types, and most devices require a specific type/speed.

Unsupported file type. Some players will actually see and index files even when they aren't a supported type. In which case, as you describe, the files would be viewable in the list, but won't play. Many generic type players only support mp3 and wma files (for example). And even then, sometimes have bitrate or file size limits.

Too many files, files too large, a corrupt file, etc. etc.

Drivers would only be an issue for the computer to access the player. They aren't used by the player or necessary for the player to function.

The player needs to be disconnected from the computer to function. At least none of the ones that I've used function while connected to a computer. They merely charge and are seen as a storage device for managing the audio files.

Having said all of that, as noted above, numerous times, the device is most likely faulty. Usage is pretty straight forward, connect to a PC, copy your files, and it works. You shouldn't need to be looking for firmware, formatting, trying to find drivers, etc. etc. I understand that you want to get it to work. If it's new, get a refund or exchange it. Otherwise, it simply sounds like faulty hardware.

15. --nknm--

--nknm-- Thread Starter

I figured out, that with modified drivers the player could perhaps be recognized by the software to upgrade firmware i managed to acquire. thank you very much for your replies.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice