1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.MP3.scr attachment

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by andyoaks, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andyoaks

andyoaks Thread Starter

hi, i have been sent an e-mail with a file attachment named.. 'humour.MP3.scr'
    I can't save it to anywhere as it only shows the e-mail (there is no message in it). It saves to temp int files but i can't locate it afterwards. I have not openned the attachment. I cannot locate it with Norton Antivirus. I tried sending it to Symmantic but their upload file programme says it's not a file.
    Any ideas what i can do?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

andyoaks
    Unless you know the sendor of this item I would be leary of opening or attempting to open an item with multiple extensions.
    Even if you know the individual contact them first to find out what they tried to send you. The extensions appear to be mp3 music file and screensaver.
    Dave

3. andyoaks

andyoaks Thread Starter

Turns out to be the virus [email protected] Norton though says it cant delete the file and that it's in a file in C\._RESTORE. I can't find even that folder.
    andy

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Andy
    Thats what I was afraid of.
    Here is Nortons listing of it and the removal instruction are further down the page.
    Keep us posted on your progress since there are several individual here that are quite versed in virus and virus removal.
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]
    Dave

5. andyoaks

andyoaks Thread Starter

The only file to contain the virus are in C\:_RESTORE. Is this the file that restores your pc back to the way it was on an earlier date. My Norton anti-virus says it can't delete the files and asks if they are protected.

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

Roger
    Thanks for picking up on this for Andy I have allot of work to get done today so I am away.
    Also System restore file is 200MB minimum and on an average system will equate to around 5 to 8 restore points. Quantity of restore points vary of course depending on the size of the data base. I have a rather deep system on this unit and My restore selection on the slider is one notch below center at 1524MB and that equates to 15 days of restore points. Mind you that is mine others could be 20+ or even less. Here is a pic of the setting in control panel, performance. system files. I currently am planning to scale that back to around 10 days.
    Dave

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice