1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mp3s on motorola V180?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by willtodie, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willtodie

willtodie Thread Starter

i recently purchased a motorola V180 cellphone and i've been told that you can actually add mp3s as your ringtones. i've noticed that my phone has some sort of usb port. i've searched the net for an answer and i havent had any luck so far.

i know this might not be the right board to post anything like this, but i'm pretty sure that someone will have an answer or some ideas for this problem or rather this question. :confused:

if it's of any help my phone is a motorolav180, and im with Tmobile. and i dont think i have that 'internet' thing on my phone.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The connector on your phone is a USB mini-connector. I just got the same phone with Cingular, and I'm waiting on the Motorola Mobile Phone Tools v3.0 program I ordered last week. It appears it will allow you to load ring tones, sync the phone book, etc.

3. winbob

winbob

John,

I just signed up to switch from Sprint to Cingular today. I'm getting 2 of the V220's for free on the Family Plan! Won't be switching until the end of the month though. We oughta get everyone on Cingular and we could conference all the threads for free! :D

4. JohnWill

Funny, I switched from Sprint too. I would have stayed with them, but I called to change my plan, and they were pretty unplesant, so I figured they didn't need my money. They sure changed their tune when I called to cancel the account, but it's too late then. :)

5. winbob

winbob

John,

Same deal on my end.

But to add insult to injury....I got terrible service when I was at home! That was where I used it for long distance. Then around town (Dallas) it would lose signal in the weirdest places.

6. JohnWill

I never had any real complaints with the coverage with Sprint. I travel some, and in places like Grand Rapids, LA, and Clearwater FL, it always worked for me.

7. bobolito

bobolito

Long time Cingular user here. I have the V400 but I've used the V180 as well. The mini-USB port can be used with any standard USB cable that has the mini-USB port. Just get the Motorola Mobile Phone Tools 3.0 and you will be able to transfer your MP3 files from your computer to the V180. You can then select them as your ringtone.

Beware that there are certain restrictions for the MP3 file. I am not sure what the restrictions are, but if you realize the phone doesn't want to accept or play a certain MP3 file, maybe it's because the bitrate is too high or the file is too big or too long. However, I've gotten a 30-second long, 64kbps MP3 file to play just fine. You won't need anything longer than 30 seconds because after that your phone will stop ringing and the caller sent to voicemail.

8. JohnWill

I just got my Motorola Tools and installed them. It took a big of wrangling to get my phone numbers into the phone, but I did get it working. One problem was that it needed an immediate update to even see the phone, that took a while to figure out. :)

I saw the capbility to upload ring tones, and they even provide some samples, but I'm not entirely sure how to find them once they're in the phone.

9. winbob

winbob

John,

"It took a big of wrangling to get my phone numbers into the phone, but I did get it working. One problem was that it needed an immediate update to even see the phone, that took a while to figure out."

Are you saying that you were able to transfer addresses from your old phone service's telephone? The Cingular guy told me that I could not do that from m Sprint phone to the new Cingular phone?????????????? Is he F. Of S. ?

10. JohnWill

I did it in two steps. I exported the phone list to a comma delimited file from my old phone tools, then imported it into the Motorola tools.

11. Twofro

Twofro

Hello i have the motorola V 190 a step up from the 180 and i have the same thing with the Motorola mobile Phone Tools deluxe 4.0 and i am trying to send extracts to my phone but the program wont let me...:( When I send it says unsupported format - No conversion possible could someone please explain how i can get it to send?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice