1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Mr

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Victor128, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Victor128

Victor128 Thread Starter

In the recent past I had noted my computer up and down loading had become relatively slow, I decided, based upon a PC World recommendation, to utilise RECUVA software to see if, in using it, I could eliminate problems causing sluggish computer performance.

I downloaded the RECUVA 'free trial' version and eventually was presented with a drop down list itemising various programs, folders and files that could be suitably scanned, I ticked all of these apart from the microsoft media - mail and video items, then activated the scan accordingly.

Eventually I was presented with a drop down list showing all info re scanned files, that called for repair action. No help provided here to advise what should - or should not be deleted. Simply the message that all items needed repair. Feeling reasonably safe because I use Memo auto backup software to back up all files/folders onto my Buffalo Ext Hard Drive, I instructed repair.

BIG MISTAKE

I now find a huge amount of my files have been deleted from very important folders containing legal references related to a court case I am involved with plus some 29.000 other files that have also gone missing.

I have tried to utilise the RECUVA deleted files recovery software - limited and deep scan....NOTHING AT ALL was retrieved.

With reference to my legal files, the loss of which could now cost me upwards to GBP 200.000.00, I am also VERY concerned about the loss of the remaining files. images and financial files.

I take exception also to the fact that without any instruction from me during the original 'delete' action, I now also find my MEMO backup software and facilites have also been lost, so I cannot now enter MEMO to retrieve files either.

Would appreciate advice from anybody please, before taking matters further.

Cheers

Victor Kent

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    the only advice i can give u is u might have to use a professional data recovery service which wont be cheap to try to see what if anything can be retrieved from your hard drive. i would also suggest that u not use the computer at this time before anything more gets overwritten and lost forever.in the future im sure u know this but make copies of whatever is important in your computer like files photos etc and save them on a cd or dvd.hope this helps.

3. Victor128

Victor128 Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response and suggestions.

I had thought about this actually, but then, I am also thinking I have been conned by this software provider as well. On their 'Free Download Trial' site, no assistance is given whatsoever and certainly, no warnings given re repairing files etc they say need to be repaired (notice - no warnings given about DELETING thousands of valuable files inside folders.

Also interesting that when I try to use their recovery software (also included in the free trial download) this does not work either. This gives me absolutely no confidence in purchasing their full version, that emphasises how good their retrieval software is.

What makes me so mad is this lot very cleverly, delete all access to my Buffalo/Memo aut backup software, so I cannot enter their restore facilities either.

Both PC World and others accessing this software really ought to be warned about this con.

Many thanks anyway

Cheers

4. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    ive never heard anything bad about recuva. in fact i thought it was highly recommended for problems like this but maybe u had a corrupted program somehow.i hope u are able to recover whatever it is u lost with a minimum of expense.u are very welcome. maybe someone will have more suggestions.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Recuva recovers deleted files. It doesn't do anything remotely related to performance improvement. It also doesn't delete files. You must have run something else that created the initial problem.

If you have data worth that much money, I would suggest you stop using your computer immediately and find the best data recovery company to attempt to get your data back. You'll probably pay thousands of dollars, but given the value of the data, it's a small percentage.

6. surferdude2

surferdude2

Victor, It sounds like you are the victim of a confusing download site page and got some program other than what you wanted, possibly one of the "magic" system repair tools. I often notice those tools being offered more prominently than the freeware I'm wanting and can imagine how easy it is for someone who isn't extremely attentive to click the wrong download link.

If you can determine what program you actually got, maybe there is still hope.

7. Victor128

Victor128 Thread Starter

Hi Folks, thanks for your comments. Although not a computer geek, I have some experience. I downloaded the Racuva Speed Boost free trial software, received the Recuva 'Drop Down' list of programs/files to be examined, did not tick those not to be included in scan, then carried our system scan as directed, subsequently received advice via drop down list of all files that needed 'REPAIR' - notice that at no time was any advice shown that files/programs would be 'Deleted' - then I instructed 'Repair'. Now my PC 'gobbled up' literally thousands of valuable files.

If, I have to consider paying for the fully supported Recuva package, can anyone tell me if their recovery part of the package is efficient and effective...? Certainly, when I tried to use this facility on their 'Free Trial' version, carrying our their initial and deep scan facility, nothing at all was indicated as retrievable so at this time, I have little confidence in Recuva.

Cheers

Victor

8. itsjusme

itsjusme

Sounds like you are a victim of clicking the wrong download link as already mentioned. The RECUVA program mentioned above works very well, is fairly easy to use , and has plenty of documentation to help you use it successfully. It is also free for personal use, but you can purchase it and they accept donations. Here is the direct download link, if this is not what you got, you got spoofed. I also suggest not using the drive till you get your data back, or at least try. The more you use it the greater the chance of some of those files getting overwritten, if they`re still there. Sounds like paying a professional recovery service will be cheap in the long run in your case. And remember from now on, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, in more than one place, and on more than one kind of media.:D

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

This is the link to Recuva.
    http://www.piriform.com/recuva

There is no "Recuva Speed Boost" software, and there is no trial version of Recuva. It's a completely free file recovery application only. I have no idea what you downloaded or where you're continuing to look.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice