1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS 365 Cannot open attachments in Outlook

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by supersadie, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supersadie

supersadie Thread Starter

Recently bought new laptop with Win 8 installed and purchased MS 365 Personal. Today however I find I am unable to enable editing in any attachments received in my Outlook client.

When I click on enable editing the program stops working and I have to close it altogether. This happens in Word and Excel. Not sure about anything else.

It also happens if I save the attachment and try to open it from the desktop.

Can anyone help; I'm scuppered without it...

Many thanks. Herewith some system info - afaik Windows Defender is turned on!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 with Bing, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 8075 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 937753 MB, Free - 838909 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire E5-511
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If you are going to do any editing of these documents, it is ALWAYS best to save the file to your hard drive, then edit it, then attach this new version if you are going to send it back or on to others.

Are Word and Excel set to be your default editor within Windows?

3. supersadie

supersadie Thread Starter

The problem is that they are refusing to work irrespective of whether they are saved to my laptop or being opened directly from Outlook (which is what I've been doing ever since I've used a laptop - many moons - without a hitch).

I presume Excel and Word are the defaults as that's what the files are trying to open with.

I've just repaired MS Office, but without any success.

No idea how to fix it.

To clarify, when I double click the attachment opens and the program (Word, Excel) freezes. If I preview with Outlook, Outlook freezes.

If I save to desktop and try to open, the same thing happens.

Hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice