1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS 98 Backup catalogs #2

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Abby Sale, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Abby Sale

Abby Sale Thread Starter

I regularly back up my data to CD. It can happen that
    Backup Catalogs may be overwritten, corrupt or otherwise
    non-relevant to the backed-up files.

In older Windows, one could easily Rebuild catalogs from
    these files and then Restore in the normal way.

I don't see any way to do this in Win98 SE Backup, - nor
    any other method to Restore files without the original
    catalog for them.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.

2. storage_man

storage_man

Abby_sale

If your really serious about backing up your computer, you need to look at a commerical product. The WIN98Se backup software works ok but if you have a major failure ie: Harddisk died, then you will be hard pressed to restore everything in its original manor with the WIN Backup software. Look at DriveImage, Ghost or any of the major backup software. All of them work with most windows operating systems. THey are a lot quicker to use, they burn cd's and will provide you with a reaonable sense of security that during a disaster, you can restore and recover.

Storage_man

3. Abby Sale

Abby Sale Thread Starter

4. Arky

Arky

Quote: I'm sure you're right over-all. My understanding is that I'd need a (nearly) equal storage space to my present HD to image like that. I've seen several posts that a full b-u to CD is lengthy. Say, 18 CDs in my case and expensive if they're R or dangerous if they're RW. End of Quote

Drive Image and True Image backup a typical W98(or SE) or W2K boot drive to about 480 MB. A True Image image is the smaller of the two images produced. Both fit on a single CD. Ghost images are about 50 to 100 MB larger than DI or TI images. True Image is the fastest imaging software to date and produces the smallest image, but the preliminary reports on Ghost 9 speed are about the same as DI and TI. Ghost 9 will have the burden that DI 7 had in that it requires .Net installed and taking up ~70 MB of the boot drive. The sizes of the images given assume that your swap (W98) or page (W2K) file is on another drive or in another partition.

5. Arky

Arky

I omitted mentioning that, if you like the MS 98 backup, the commercial version is Stomp's Backup My PC. It allows recovery if there is a hard disk failure witha set of recovery floppys. Compression is modest for the boot drive.

If you decide to get Acronis True Image it has been offered on eBay as an outright purchase for $39. This number is for version 7. I haven't checked lately to see if they are listing version 8.

6. storage_man

storage_man

Abby_Sale

As far as storage space goes, all of the comercial products have some sort of compression. Some also provide variations of compressions ie: Fast with lower compression or Slow with Higher compression. High compression even on the system volume should get you 2:1. So if you have 5gb, you should be able to save it on around 2.5gb,

Storage_man

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice