1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Access 2010 Text Field Question

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by VMM101, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VMM101

VMM101 Thread Starter

Hi,

Help, I am a novice at Access 2010 and am attempting to write a custom [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]database[/COLOR][/COLOR] from scratch.
    How do I get data from multiple text fields to show up combined in a seperate text field. I want to combine the First, Middle Initial, and Last Name fields so they will be combined in a seperate field I named Complete Name.

I typed the following into the Validation Rule of the Property section for the Complete Name text field however, the Complete Name text field remains blank in Form as well as Table.

Trim$([FirstName] & " " & [MI] & " " & [LastName])

I hope I explained this correctly as I am relatively new to Access. Can you give me any advice or suggestions? Thank You

VMM101

2. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

There are 3 ways to do this.
    1. This method uses a query to combine the data, but it will not store the combined data and it will not refresh on it's own if you add or change the data.
    2. This method combines the data in and Unbound field by making it the Control Source of the Field. This will not save the data to a table but will automatically update.
    3. This method uses VBA in the After Update Event Procedures of the 3 fields and will automatically update the data and also save it to a table if required.
    The choice is yours.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice