1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Access Help Required Urgently

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rishiratta, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rishiratta

rishiratta Thread Starter

I have two tables( A & B ) under a database in Ms Access. The first table contains the list of around 20000 email ids whom I have already sent an email. The second table contains the list of around 2500 email id who have replied to my email. Now I want to send an email reminder to those who have not replied to me yet.

What I want is that from table A, all the email ids stored in table B(who have already replied to me) should get deleted so that those who have already replied to me do not receive the reminder. In other words I want that table A should not contain any email id that is there in table B.

Could you explain me how this could be done in Ms Access. Please explain in detail. I shall be highly obliged for the same

2. lora_3677

lora_3677

well..... if it was me... i would do a little tweaking on your db, but you may HAVE to have two tables for some reason on your project....
    i personally, would add a field to table A called 'Reply' or whatever. make it a yes,no check box. then you can do a simple query on that table to return only the fields that 'reply' is 'NO'..
    you can always add fields for the 2nd, 3rd, and so on email replies... i think that would be easier and a cleaner db.

but you can do it with two tables as well... but it is going to take me a few more swigs of Mtn Dew to get that one lined out....

3. khaki

khaki

I already explained how to do this in another thread that you created on this exact same topic.

but.... I'll explain it again (although I believe that you are spamming.... and that doesn't sit well with me :mad: )

You need to create a Delete query.
    Make sure both tables have a field that are named the same (such as "emailID" or whatever).
    Add both tables to the query.
    Drag the "*" of the first table into the query field (it will be the "From" table)
    Drag the field name ("emailID" or whatever) of the second table into the query field to the right of the first table (it will be the "Where" table).
    Right-click in the gray area where the tables are (top section) and click on Properties.
    Make sure that Unique Records indicates YES.
    Run your query.

That will delete the matching records of the second table from the first table.

Once again....
    if you don't understand.... ASK
    (there is no need to create new threads which ask the same question)

Let me know how it goes

:)

4. mrwendal

mrwendal

This stinks of spam.... apologies if i am wrong... but I would love to meet someone who has 20,000 + friends on email!

I personally would be happier to find out the purpose of rishiratta's project before any further help is given.

Rishiratta - no disrespect, but hopefully you can put yourself in our shoes and see how it looks like you're involved in a spamming situation?
    Please put us right!

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

Hi mrwendal,

>> This stinks of spam

I totally confess to knowing nowt about how spam stuff works. Any ideas how me looking at the post might cause me to receive an email of it's content from the poster (since that's what happened)?

Best rgds,
    Andy

6. mrwendal

mrwendal

hi Andy,

Are you saying that you have rec'd an item of spam and you want to know why, or are you saying that you can't see what i'm worried about?

Sorry, it probably is blatant, but it's getting late and i'm not sure which way you meant this!

(Damn lack of intonation with these posts!!!) lol !

7. XL Guru

XL Guru

mrw,

The former, def ; all I did was read the post & before I knew it, it had been mailed to me via OE. What's/how's that all about?

Rgds,
    Andy

8. rishiratta

rishiratta Thread Starter

Dear Khaki,

Thanks a ton for you suggestion.

But when I applied your instructions, all the data in both the tables got deleted ( Though, I had already copied the data before applying the delete query so that the data do not get deleted permanently )

I followed your advice and did exactly the same what you told but without any success.

Plz sugest any other way. I need to finish this project at the earliest.....and ya plz dont consider this related to spamming. I need this to be done for sending an important email reminder to the members of my library.

You early reply would be highly appreciated.

Rishi Ratta

9. khaki

khaki

hi Rishi....

I will take you at your word that the purpose of this query is not being used for spamming purposes (because even though I remain skeptical, I do not wish to judge you and deny you help without any proof).

so.........
    I don't understand why you had trouble (although maybe I just don't explain it well enough).

I'd suggest looking in Access' Help menu (F1) and see if that explains things better for you.

In the meantime...
    here are some screenshots of what I was explaining.
    If you followed my directions and your query looked like this.... then..... I have no clue as to what problem you are having (cuz it works for me all the time).

first of all....
    did you set-up the query so that it looks like this (top image)?

and secondly...
    did you check/change the properties to indicate "Unique records" like this (bottom image)?

[​IMG]

if you have followed my directions (and everything on your query looks like everything on my query)..... then I am lost as to why you are having trouble.

Try it again... and let me know how it goes (I guess :rolleyes: )

good luck
    (and NO spamming!!! :mad: )
    :) k

Attached Files:

10. lora_3677

lora_3677

K: I'm sure you know how to do this... but i have tried it with a test db several times following your directions and I'm unable to get the results you have... it appears you have relationship set up as well... could that be a difference? Not sure what I'm missing...

11. lora_3677

lora_3677

OH!!! I figured it out.. you have a primary key set in both tables. I bet that is why his delete query is no working.

See, I don't always set a primary key if I'm dealing with a table... and for my test I hadn't... so... without the primary key... it won't work.. i bet i bet i bet

12. khaki

khaki

the key is that the FIELDs must have a relationship (or some field between the 2..... the query needs something to help it understand the relationship).

Rishi can just use the emailID fields to make the relationship.

I really don't understand...
    I use this method ALL THE TIME and it works.
    I have tested it (for this thread) about 10 times already.... and it STILL works.

I can only assume that I suck at explaining this.
    Where are the Access gurus around here to provide an easily understood answer? (cuz I give up :( )

(oh... and LO.... to answer your email: NO... we are fine. It has nothing to do with you. It's just that my Random days are done... that's all ;) )

13. khaki

khaki

you create tables without Primary Keys??? :eek:

;)

ya can't have relationships between tables without one, y'know ;)
    (and Rishi can use his emailID as his Primary Key for his particular tables).

I'm still confused why you guys are not getting this to work....
    but pl-e-a-s-e try it with a Primary Key AND FEILDS that have an actual relationship.
    Then let me know how it goes (cuz this is making me crazy now :eek: ;) )

:)

14. lora_3677

lora_3677

i really think it relies on the primary key thing... because as soon as i added a primary key the prob was solved.
    i tried just the relationship and it still didn't like it... hmmmmmmm now i am perplexed.

(sorry to hear you are leaving Random.... Gib is still in your closet and Ash has been asking about you... but i am not going to say anything... :( )

15. khaki

khaki

hmmmmm...
    can you explain what you mean when you say, "i tried just the relationship and it still didn't like it" ???

<EDIT>: Never mind.... I understand what you meant now. You tried a relationship... but you did not have a Primary Key. Okay. Well.... hopefully that is Rishi's issue too (although why are you guys creating tables without Primary Keys :confused: Unless they will never be used in relationship with other tables... you gotta set 'em up with one :) )
    </EDIT>

If the Field names (and the data contained within) are the same....
    Access should LOVE it !!! ") (LOL)

LO.... please explain what issue you are having now.
    I'd really like to see this solved so that you can try to explain it in your words (since I obviously am confusing you guys with mine :( )

(and don't sweat the Random thing.... I already mentioned it to those guys in the Fantasy Football thread yesterday.... so it's not like it's a secret or anything ;) )

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice