1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Access - Permissions problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sync, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sync

sync Thread Starter

I have an Access report database that links to a third party Access database. Neither database has any security restrictions.

Recently I copied the Access database to a new computer and tried to set up the links to the other database, which is on another computer, using a mapped drive. I get the message "You do not have the necessary permissions to use the '<file name>' object. Have your system administrator or the person who created this object establish the appropriate permissions for you."

I researched this on Google but could not find a solution that worked.

2. xizor2000

xizor2000

Neither could I.

And the original user has left the company and is uncontactable. Duh.

3. OBP

OBP

Can you open the database that you are trying to "link to" from the new computer that you have copied the database on to?
    Have you tried copying the "linking database's System.mdw workgroup file on to the same Folder that holds the Database that you want to link to and then joining that workgroup for the "copied database".
    Have you tried Creating a new blank Database on the same folder as the database to be linked to and linking it to the database and then copying that to your new computer to see if maintains the links?
    If it does then "Import" the Queries, Forms and Reports from your "access denied" database in to the "blank" database.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice