1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

MS Access searchable combo box on form to access records

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by trcstuart, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trcstuart

trcstuart Thread Starter

Hi All,

I am trying to put a combo box on a form that will allow the user to both scroll through the list and start typing the first name of the employee to find the desired name. Clicking on the desired name would open the appropriate record.

So far, I have successfully created:
    • A 'multi column' combo box, that shows the information that I want, called "cboSelectBEP"
    • The combo box lives on a form called "Basic Employee Profile"
    • The combo box is fed from a query called "Basic Employee Profile Query"
    • All the main data is kept on a table called "Employee Information"
    What I seem to be missing is the following functionality:
    • The combo box shows the test record (ie the list) when you click on the arrow but does not allow you to type the employee's name in to search
    • When you do click on the test record, it doesn't actually go to any record - other than the default record - btw - how can I change that so the form comes up blank?
    I think part of the issue lies in the fact that my query takes the First & Last names from the "Employee Information" table and puts them together in a 'full name' format. I know the topic of comboboxes with 'search while type' functionality has been covered many times before but I've been searching the internet for 3 days and can't seem to find where I'm going wrong! Any help is appreciated!

To make it easier envision the situation with the query, I've attached a copy of my project. Just a note that there is a login screen that will come up - the temporary login and psswd are both 'admin'.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

TS

Attached Files:

2. OBP

OBP

It is a property setting on the form that is causing the problem.
    I have added a find combo to my form in your original database that works fine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1126811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice