MS Access...What is the best way to do this?

Mescalero

- I have a linked view in Access. One column, [OPENTASK] contains a boolean in the shape of one or zero. This value will always be "1" because it is the criteria for being on this view.
- I have a Main table containing records. One column in this table is [Assigned To] and it is a combobox on the form.

I need to:
- Get the records from the view...
- Have the boolean changed for each record on the view from "1" to "0"...
- Have someone manually assign each record to the relative person...
- Lastly, have the record from the view with the "assigned to" value appended to the Main table.

Any suggestions?

What does the 0 or 1 mean, and what is the field name?

If the field simply means that a person has not been assigned then you should eliminate the field. Because it is a derived value and a report could simply calculate the result. It is not good database design.

You could write a simple program to find all where assigned = null. Then display a form for the user to assign a person. Then edit the main table, locate the primary key and update the assigned field.

managed

Allan
Always had it, never used it. What is Microsoft Access and how can a mortal use it? Can I use it for the sake of studying or contributing a blog?
octenani1 : please start a new thread for that problem, it's confusing when you post like that in someone else's thread. I suggest you put it in the'Business Applications' forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online