MS access -where to from here?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ntambomvu

hello all,
i am writing some programs for my small business and it has come to my attention that ms access may have reached its "sell by" date.
i am an old guy7 and I really dont want to learn another language - but i guess that this will be inevatable.
can someone suggest suggest a newer language that is easy and can be used for simple programs like datatables, lookups, print reports,
invoicing and storing production jobcards ect ?
best regards
fred

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you looked into a newer version of Access?

You did not stated what version you are using?

ntambomvu

Have you looked into a newer version of Access?

You did not stated what version you are using?
I am using the version that come with office 365 - so i think that it is quite up to date?
regards
fred

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then what do you mean by the "ms access may have reached its "sell by" date. "?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Then what do you mean by the "ms access may have reached its "sell by" date. "?
Judging by the last comment, I am thinking that the OP meant no-one uses Access for database management any more.

This question may serve more better in Software Development?

ntambomvu

regarding the "sell by date " if access is no longer supported by MS then what program must non computer nerds like myself learn ? I have read a lot about my sql and would like to know does it also have a user friendly programming interface such as VBA ? I have a long history of dos based programming having started on basic still on the original IBM and Columbia floppy disc systems. then I moved to dBase 4.2 because it had so many
advantages over basic ,qbasic and GWbasic. now my old dos programs wont work on windos 10 so i decided that I need to move up a rung and am learning access VBA - but it seems that this is near end of life. So where to now?

SQL itself does not have a gui. But you may find various tools that does offer a gui and syntax guidance. As you must have realized, many organizations have moved from client server to web based applications that can be accesses by users using just a browser. The benefits are a slim client requirment, and no need to go desk to desk to do installs of the application. So PHP is a server based language that manipulates HTML. and also uses SQL as it's relational database language.

ntambomvu

Thank you for your interesting reply and remarks. please do not think that i am being critical-- I am not critisizing or knocking what is currently going on. the world moves forward and that is a fact of life. but it
all sounds complicated to me ( and probably also to other octonogerians). all I am needing is a program that will allow me to do simple things on my 3 computer office network. things like keeping track of jobcards and entering stores stock items. things like tracking customer addresses etc. I realize that nowadays companies require much more functionality - but you know- there are still many small businesses that do not use all this modern stuff. I started programming on a sinclair z81 in about 1984. it allowed me to do the complicated formula calculations that i needed and i was content with that. Now it looks as if i have to learn to drive a space rocket when all I need is a donkey cart!! . but nevertheless many thanks for your response and I will keep looking !!
best regards
fred evans

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As far as I know, Microsoft Access is alive and well. It may not be part of the subscription online, Access still provided with the latest Office suite (2019) and from what I know one of the best desktop app. I would suggest staying with Access until MS decides to get rid of it (which I don't think it will happen anytime soon)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online