MS Backup - How to Add it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

compilerxp

For quite a LONG time, I've looked for a program that can correctly backup data using a Firewire or USB device. Even GHOST (And old favorite) has issues, especially for some clients who are typical novices.

Then one day (this was a long time ago) I found that the BACKUP built into WinXP Pro *WORKS* with firewire drives... basiclly ANY drive that Windows can talk to. Simple and easy to use... of course is based on the BACKUP from Windows98 - but supports NTFS and larger drives.

Anyways... I don't know HOW good it really is, I should try to RESTORE onto another drive to simulate a failure.

But the question here is... As Far as I Know/Knew - WindowsXP HOME does NOT come with the backup option.

Yet I worked on a friend's HP Notebook with WinXP Home and *IT* does have MS Backup included. I'm confused. Is there a way to add this, or was it a vender feature? It would be something that SHOULD be included in ALL versions of XP. I had tried various other programs that simply would not work with Firewire drives. Oh well.

To access MS backup or see if you have it - Right click on your HARD DRIVE, select Properties, click on the TOOLS Tab. It should be near the bottom of the list.

It's on the XP installation disc and isn't installed by default.. Here is it's location where G is my CD drive. Double click the file to install.
G:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP\NTBACKUP.MSI

compilerxp

Thank you... I will give it a try... but the PC I'm using didnt come with a WindowXP CD ROM (One of those stupid "ideas" from the manufacture to have a recovery file on the HD... which if it fails...)

I'll borrow a compatible HOME CD version.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you're backing up under Windows, there's any number of backup applications that will do the trick. The issue with GHOST is that it boots to DOS to run the backup, and sometimes the USB/Firewire drivers don't work as intended.

I'm currently using Acronis True Image for my image backup needs.

compilerxp,

XP Home does come with a backup but most vendors don't give you the source files for it. I put it on my website a while ago and the link has been previously posted.

As far as backing up, it all depends on what you want to backup. If it is just all your data, I recommend keeping it in a central location, for example in directories under something like C:\DATA. Then to back up all your data you can just XCOPY that directory and all subdirectories to your external drive. It is easy to then have backups for each day. There are a lot of switches available in XCOPY that often make this a simple on-line batch file you can put a shortcut to on your desktop. Then should any data file be corrupted ore deleted, you can just restore just what you need pretty easily by just copying it back again.

If it is creating an image of your entire drive, then other products have previously been mentioned for that. Just make sure they work with whatever type of external device you have.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online